Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2StainLess Steel Media
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Chiapas Firearms

  1. #1
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    178

    Chiapas Firearms

    I’ve been reloading for a long time. A year ago I started casting my own boolits. Now I am thinking about getting into black powder.

    I have started to l to look at reproduction rifles and was wondering about Chiapas rifles. Are they good quality? Where do they rank? Good, poor or in the middle. Anything else I need to know about them? I’m thinking about .45-70 falling block.

    Thanks
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 10-10-2018 at 01:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Boolit Master

    Hickory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Great Black Swamp of Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,691
    I don't know about quality, but, I'm happy to report that their firearms have the proper rifling & twist in their leverguns.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

    I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

  3. #3
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’ve been reloading for a long time. A year ago I started casting my own boolits. Now I am thinking about getting into black powder.

    I have started to l to look at reproduction rifles and was wondering about Chiapas rifles. Are they good quality? Where do they rank? Good, poor or in the middle. Anything else I need to know about them? I’m thinking about .45-70 trapdoor.

    Thanks
    Chiapa doesn't make a trapdoor.

  4. #4
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    344
    For what you will pay for a reproduction you can get a nice original.

  5. #5
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    658
    Chiappa is the same company as Armi Sport. When the son took over he just changed to the family name. Quality improved also.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

  6. #6
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Way up in the Cascades
    Posts
    2,257
    I have a '92 Win. replica made by them and imported by Cimarron. It was kind of expensive, and I wish the wood was nicer, but the fit, finish, and metal work is satisfactory. There's a write-up on Cimarron in the Oct. 2018 issue of the American Rifleman, which includes some information on their Italian replica manufacturers, Uberti, Pietta, Chiappa, and Pedersoli. Trapdoors, original or reporductions, aren't that hard to find on the internet auction market. If I was looking for one I'd probably look at one of the H&R replicas.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bloomfield, Nebraska
    Posts
    5,348
    Uberti, Pedersoli pretty much samo samo.... Then Chiappa then Armi Sport then IAB at the bottom of the heap. If I were buying new I would go for # 1 or 2 first. Beware the Trapdoor replicas have some changes from the originals and not for the better If I were looking for a trapdoor I would try and scout out an original first. We just sold one with a bright shiny bore for $750.00.

  8. #8
    Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer


    waksupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Posts
    17,024
    I agree with others, find an original Trapdoor.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

    Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!


  9. #9
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    Chiapa doesn't make a trapdoor.
    Your right. I just checked. It’s a falling block type. Just starting to get into this type of rifle. I have a lot to learn.

  10. #10
    Boolit Buddy zymguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ely MN. (bwcaw)
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Your right. I just checked. It’s a falling block type. Just starting to get into this type of rifle. I have a lot to learn.
    So a falling block type rifle is what you would like ? If so I think your probably correct in pursuing a replica. Ive no experience with originals or other brand replicas but Ive really enjoyed shooing my dads browning made 85 replica in 45-70 this summer

  11. #11
    Boolit Buddy zymguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ely MN. (bwcaw)
    Posts
    354



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    178
    That’s a beautiful gun. If I were looking at a Browning, I wouldn’t have to ask about quality.
    I put that same peep sight on my .45/70 Marlin maybe thirty years ago. The original flat sights keep getting ripped off in thick brush.

  13. #13
    Boolit Buddy

    Knarley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    328
    It would rely on what you had in mind for the gun. Plinking, hunting, target or all of the above. You looking at launching small projectiles, or grey hound busses? Of course, all the above works here too.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

  14. #14
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Knarley View Post
    It would rely on what you had in mind for the gun. Plinking, hunting, target or all of the above. You looking at launching small projectiles, or grey hound busses? Of course, all the above works here too.

    I want to use it for target shooting for my own fun, but I do like to compete with myself, so accurately is important. I like shooting those greyhound buses. I’ve been shooting 500gr boolits with my 45/70 Marlin with modern powder. Now I want to start using black powder and everyone says I’m crazy to start shooting black powder in a lever gun. So now I have an excuse to buy a new gun.

  15. #15
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I want to use it for target shooting for my own fun, but I do like to compete with myself, so accurately is important. I like shooting those greyhound buses. I’ve been shooting 500gr boolits with my 45/70 Marlin with modern powder. Now I want to start using black powder and everyone says I’m crazy to start shooting black powder in a lever gun. So now I have an excuse to buy a new gun.
    Blackpowder cleanup is a breeze n if ya shoot the calibres that belong in em (44/40 instead of 45 colt fr instance) nothin gets in the action - just clean the barrel - oil it - park it . (hope I didn spoil yr excuse)

  16. #16
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Blackpowder cleanup is a breeze n if ya shoot the calibres that belong in em (44/40 instead of 45 colt fr instance) nothin gets in the action - just clean the barrel - oil it - park it . (hope I didn spoil yr excuse)
    So how do you clean up. There are a lot of people with muzzle loaders where I shoot, but no one shooting BP cartridges that I know about. The muzzle loaders take down their guns and wash them out with soap and water. Then they blow them dry with compressed air before oiling them.

    In a lever gun, can you just run a brush with solvent through the barrel and then some patches followed by some oil? I can’t see myself washing out my Marlin with soap and water.

  17. #17
    Boolit Master Nobade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    4,502
    Two wet patches, one dry, and one with oil for me. Way easier than smokeless.
    "Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est."

  18. #18
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Two wet patches, one dry, and one with oil for me. Way easier than smokeless.
    mine not so different - I have a flush bottle with a bore size plastic tube fitted - hold the gun belly up - one squirt down bore - then a wet patch - another flush - another wet patch - third squirt down bore then dry it out - oil - put it away - yes way easier than cleaning up a smokeless gun - difference is you can "get away with" putting a smokeless gun in the rack dirty - that dont work with black.

  19. #19
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta South Metro Area
    Posts
    413
    Ballistol is your friend. Once it's clean wipe a thin film on all internal and external surfaces and put the gun away. I make it a policy to check any gun fired with BP 48 hours after cleaning to make sure I didn't miss any spots. Gf

  20. #20
    Boolit Master Nobade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    4,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Ballistol is your friend. Once it's clean wipe a thin film on all internal and external surfaces and put the gun away. I make it a policy to check any gun fired with BP 48 hours after cleaning to make sure I didn't miss any spots. Gf
    I don't worry about it with BP but will check it every day if I ever burn that awful pyrodex stuff.
    "Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check