RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 45 Colt 200 gr. pest control load ?

Boolit Buddy

45 Colt 200 gr. pest control load ?

i have a Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt that I have a hunting load of 20.5 gr. of 4227 with a RCBS 45-270 saa bullet and have the sight regulated for that load. But now I want to use the same revolver for pest control, ground hogs, raccoons, opossums and the occasional coyote. The other bullet mold that I have and a bunch already cast is a Lee J/P 45cal. 210gr. big lube bullet that I used with black powder In schofield cases. i am trying to get these to shoot fairly close to where my hunting load is. I know that the heavier bullet is going to shoot higher, but was wondering if I can this lighter bullet close? So far all I have been trying is Unique. I was wondering if there was a slower powder to try to get the bullet moving slower to help.
    The data I have been using is Lyman cast book of reloading for the lee 452-200.

Thanks Scott

Boolit Master
    You can try 5grs of Red Dot. It comes reasonably close to what your after.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A 200-grain bullet is going to shot about a foot below your 270-grain bullet at 25 yards. Won't matter what velocity you drive it.

You would be better off reducing the charge with your 270-grain bullet to reduce the recoil and penetration.

In Schofield brass you can go down to 4 grains of Bullseye with your 270-grain bullet for about 700 fps and it will shoot alot closer to your sights than any load with a 200-grain bullet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I use the lee 255 gr. swc and 8.5 gr. unique for every thing deer ground hogs even pigeons works great if I had a chance I would even use it on hogs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is there some reason you could not use your current load on the other critters? As was mentioned a big change in bullet weight will require cranking on the sights no matter what.

How about one load for all?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Is there some reason you could not use your current load on the other critters? As was mentioned a big change in bullet weight will require cranking on the sights no matter what.

How about one load for all?
    I could, just had these other bullets lying around and just thought I would put them to use. But I will probably just use my hunting load.

Boolit Master
    was wondering if I can this lighter bullet close
    I my opinion, no. I even found windage changes as the heavier bullets' recoil cause more "torque"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I agree with Mr. Peabody - it's at least worth a try. I normally use a 255 gr in my 45 but also shoot 200 gr with good accuracy. 5 gr. of Red Dot with a 200 gr in Schofield casing should work fine. Maybe shoot a bit differently than your normal hunting load - but learn where they shoot and adjust your sighting when you slide 'em in the chambers of your revolver. I'm not shooting a BH but rather a Uberti 7 1/2" Cattleman SAA so the basic simple front blade/grooved top strap sights - it's all about practice and learning where they shoot.

Boolit Master
    I got a 440 grain at 1,325 to shoot within an inch and a half of a 400 grain boolit at 50 yards by slowing it down in my .475. How slow? 550 fps. with 5 grains of Trailboss It was the only light load that even came close. If you can make it happen, I think you will have to go really slow with the light boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I'll try some Red Dot and Bullseye.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    But now I want to use the same revolver for pest control, ground hogs, raccoons, opossums and the occasional coyote. t
    Don't shoot the possums, they are beneficial. They eat ticks like cereal, they compete with rats for the same foods so if you have possums you won't have rats. They don't carry disease like coons do.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Don't shoot the possums, they are beneficial. They eat ticks like cereal, they compete with rats for the same foods so if you have possums you won't have rats. They don't carry disease like coons do.
    I agree- leave Opie alone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have both rats and possums. The rats live underground, while the possums roam above. Good luck getting your gun set up the way you need.
    luvtn

But now I want to use the same revolver for pest control, ground hogs, raccoons, opossums and the occasional coyote.
    IF, as you say, your heavy bullet load shoots to the sights, it should be more than adequate for the came you've listed, plus you are intimately familiar with its trajectory. I see no need for a lighter bullet with all that it will require in the way of sights. Best Regards, Rod

I would believe a cowboy load with a 200 grain bullet going out at 700 FPS would kill without too much penetration. Count the clicks it takes to sight it in and reset the sight when you go back to your full power load.

Pest control?
    Two hard cast round balls with a dab of lube in between?