Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 458 Socom fail

Boolit Mold

458 Socom fail

I purchased 250 Magnus bullets, a lb of black paint by the lb, got a oven from amazon, a #5 recycle shaker, black BB's and this was the outcome. I did 400 for 20 minutes and they are all coming out exactly like this. What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 43487626_990970494440132_1664525519141470208_n.jpg   43663936_2250780188484332_3878370346054713344_n.jpg   43541406_271515823499004_8892714006658154496_n.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Was there some sort of lube in that grease groove? Almost seems something was there that didn't let the powder stick

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Is that what this green line is??? ***, so I purchased something that wont work or I can do something to remove this like soak in simple green?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 43492889_1982899398442558_3189242027367727104_n.jpg  

Boolit Master

Yep, that is a wax lube. Should be able to boil them in water to float off the lube. Skim or pour all the lube off before fisbhing out the bullets. Might roll em in a towel with acetone or lacquer thinner after boilingto make sure.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Yes, what he says above...boil them then give a rinse in acetone or mineral spirits....then a final wash with Dawn dish soap.

That is bullet lube in that groove and it is intentionally greasy so the powder won't stick if any film is left on the bullet (ie if you just scrape it out the oils will still be there and won't let the powder stick)

Give em a good clean and you should be good to go.

If you take the ones you have already done and rub them down really well with mineral spirits and tumble them again you should get that grease groove too

Vendor Sponsor

Since there was lube on the bullets, it is highly possible that your parts that ARE coated the coating will not be adhered properly..
    I would do a smash test on at least 5 bullets .. If any and I mean any coating flakes off they would all be rejects
    in a big bore the absolute last issue you want is removing lead from that BIG bore
    YMMV
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Mold
    I called the manufacture and they told me that you all are correct. I was hoping this would be a cheap easy option. I guess I was wrong. 250 bullets with the other stuff put me all for like $100. That's 100 bullets. Guess you live and learn. Thanks for the input all. As for what you are saying smoke. Half the bullet itself is not even covered. I just assume they are all trash. Is there another way to purchase like this and get rounds without the wax? My other issue is getting the base coated. Mine are not coating and sticking to the base plate. Some have run off too.

Boolit Master
    Some guys here would likely cast you up some of any number of bullet profiles...maybe someone else can provide a link for you but I know alot of guys just like casting....and if they were paid to do it even better for them. I don't think it should be very pricey. If I shot big bore I'd be happy to but all I have are 358 and 30 cal molds

Boolit Bub
    Some manufacturers will sell unsized and unlubed bullets that are ready for powder coating, but you can always buy lubed ones and swish them around in some Xylene

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ewlyon View Post
    Some manufacturers will sell unsized and unlubed bullets that are ready for powder coating, but you can always buy lubed ones and swish them around in some Xylene
    Does xylene penetrate the skin barrier? Seems I have heard it does...and if so I'd be very careful with it and lead together....heard about a guy using it to clean lead based paint and got horribly high blood lead levels as a result

Boolit Master
    Honestly I would just shoot the lubed ones you have left, and maybe tumble the mistakes in Lee liquid alox or recluse lube and use them for plinkers. I have found the 458 socom to be pretty forgiving with cast.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Echd View Post
    Honestly I would just shoot the lubed ones you have left, and maybe tumble the mistakes in Lee liquid alox or recluse lube and use them for plinkers. I have found the 458 socom to be pretty forgiving with cast.
    this is definitely worth considering. Shoot em up, it might be fun.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

The boiling idea seems like it would work. The wax will melt and it will float so you'd be good to go after finishing in Acetone.

Don't give up, it takes a little while to get the process down, but after you do you won't be going back to lubed boolits.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Those messed up bullets arent trash. Just lube and size them. I have had some failed PC experiments that shot just fine with lube in the grooves.

That way you dont waste those 200 bullets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Mold
    Ok, so just put lube on them like I would a normal projectile or do I need something specific like stated above? I currently actually only have case lube. It seems that Lee alox is cheap and on Amazon. Is there another powder you all would recommend for future bullets? I like the black look, but am at the whatever works stage. Also, how do you all coat the bottoms? Mine are sticking. What do you do about that? If i do this correctly do I need to use bullet lube? I thought that was the reason to do this?
    Last edited by Wolters_88; 10-09-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I would use LLA lee liquid alox.
    As far as powder smoke's is about as good as it gets.
    I think the powder is not adhering to the bottom properly due to the wax melting downward.
    No lube required if powder coat adheres properly.

Boolit Master

Dont sweat the bases. If you get em clean and set em on parchment paper or nonstick foil you will get good coverage on the bases, but it isnt needed. Just look at fmj pistol bullets, exposed lead bases. Just tumble lube the screw ups in lee alox or the like and shoot em. The lube will prevent leading where the pc didnt cover due to the wax. Normally no lube is needed with pc.

LLA and load and shoot them mistakes and have fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I'm just putting them face up on the tray that it came with thinking the flat surface should be down. Should I use aluminum foil? I'm going to boil the wax off and put them in some acetone and try again tonight.

Boolit Master

You will need something to keep the pc from sticking to thray. Parchment paper or nonstick aluminum foil work best and are available at Wal-Mart, grocery store etc in the baking stuff. Nonstick foil only, and it has a plain and nonstick side. Plain foil or the wrong side and you will be picking foil. Parchment paper is very effective and cheaper but only last a few cooks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast