RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 458 Socom fail

Quote Originally Posted by Wolters_88 View Post
    I called the manufacture and they told me that you all are correct.
    Man I would have loved to overheard the conversation when they got off the phone with you.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Buddy
    I called the manufacture and they told me that you all are correct. I was hoping this would be a cheap easy option. I guess I was wrong. 250 bullets with the other stuff put me all for like $100. That's 100 bullets. Guess you live and learn. Thanks for the input all. As for what you are saying smoke. Half the bullet itself is not even covered. I just assume they are all trash. Is there another way to purchase like this and get rounds without the wax? My other issue is getting the base coated. Mine are not coating and sticking to the base plate. Some have run off too.
    I wanted to try an RCBS 30 cal gas check Silhouette bullet. I found a company that sells them online lubed with conventonal lube. I contacted them and asked if I could buy 100 of them "as cast", no lube and unsized. Just the bullets and loose gas checks. They agreed to ship them like that and I was able to PC them with my own powder.

Is that what this green line is??? ***, so I purchased something that wont work or I can do something to remove this like soak in simple green?
    Dude, you should just load and shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Does xylene penetrate the skin barrier? Seems I have heard it does...and if so I'd be very careful with it and lead together....heard about a guy using it to clean lead based paint and got horribly high blood lead levels as a result

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    I am pretty sure it doesn't because we use it with epoxy instead of acetone. Acetone will certainly penetrate the skin layer but will likely not transport lead.

Boolit Buddy
    So... how much smoke was there when you baked them?

Yeah you can not PC a bullet that has been sized & lubed, no surface tension for the powder to stick to. You need naked/clean bullets for PC. If you want coated bases, either stand them on parchment paper or I use thins wire baskets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    boil the non-PCed bullets in an old pot with water and 1 teaspoon of laundry detergent.
    a 1/2 teaspoon of lemishine/citric acid will also help, and will etch the surface a bit.
    wax will float on top of the water and after boiling for 10 min pour the first few inches of water+wax off
    outside into the dirt or into a bucket with a paper bag in it.
    DON'T pour it down the kitchen sink or you will have a clogged drain since the wax will cool and stick to the pipes.

fully drain pot and put bullets on towel to dry.
    PC when dry.

Xylene or acetone will penetrate skin. No need for either, and no need for the cost and waste of the solvent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12