StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingGraf & SonsWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: 41 rimfire smokeless load?

Boolit Master

41 rimfire smokeless load?

Looks like I may win a colt number 3 in 41 rimfire. Empty cases are available that use a 22 blank for a primer. Of course black powder can be assembled but was wondering if anyone has loaded these cases with smokeless. Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Not reloaded that caliber but many years back I owned and carried a .41 Remington. Back then, early '60's, ammo was available. Copper cased and with that extreme truncated bullet. The loads were obviously smokeless and shot rather well as I recall. I still have a round or so of that stuff but the gun is long (******) long gone.

Neat piece....quite unlike the modern versions in that it was not overly heavy with that bulky pivot point..........mine did have a solid pivot latch, but several I've handled were cracked. As I recall the round was so slow it took quite a while to 'thunk' when shooting at a solid target at about 30/40 yards........often the bullet would only lightly penetrate and I dug several out of phone poles.

Whatever y ou do load wise....start VERY small

Boolit Master
    The 41 Short RF was developed for the derringer, ie #3 Colt with an intended low velocity 425 fps using a powder charge of 13gr of black powder. There is no loading data to emulate the BP velocity using smokeless powder. If you REALLY HAVE TO HAVE a smokeless load, personally I would use Bullseye powder and start low with 0.5gr and work up to 425 fps shooting over a chronograph. Good Luck

For my Stevens Tip Up in 32 Long RF - I use Bullseye for smokeless charges but no recommendations due to these being 2 different calibers and the Tip Up is a rifle charge
    Last edited by John Boy; 10-09-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    At this point I am leaning towards black powder. My plan is to chuck a heel base 41 LC bullet in a drill and shave the blunt round nose to look like the pointed 41 RF short bullet.

Boolit Master
    Good Luck working a Lead Heeled Bullet in a Three Jaw Drill Chuck!
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    If you can find this Ideal mold or have it custom made, this is the bullet for the 41 Short RF ...
    Name:  386176.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  10.0 KB
    386176. This is the old style .41 short Colt's O. L. bullet. No. 1 tool only. Not sized and seated on heel of bullet only. (Heel, 163 - TP is 167)
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Good Luck working a Lead Heeled Bullet in a Three Jaw Drill Chuck!
    Chev. William
    Now Iíll have to do it just prove I can!

The above mold would be great to find and I would use it for cowboy action in 41 long colt as well. I was into a nice Lyman 386178 hollowbase Lyman mold on eBay a couple of days ago and it sold for $219!

Boolit Master
    Try Accurate Molds. The .41 is well within his comfort range of Bullet Diameters and weights.

Boolit Buddy
    GONRA modified a commercial collet chuck to modify bullets several years ago.
    Forget the conventional 3 etc. jaw lathe chucks....