RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Powder measure for Blackhorn?

Boolit Master

Powder measure for Blackhorn?

What is a good powder measure for Blackhorn 209? Will be loading somewhere between 70 and 100 grains. Need something that is easy to use in the field and preferably something than can be carried with a charge for a "quick" reload.

For carrying powder charges in the field, I reuse plastic pill bottles that have a secure cap whether from prescriptions or over the counter products.

Empty cartridge cases can be used to measure powder volume with only small variations depending on the manufacturer and condition of the brass.
    Their case capacity in grains of water just about equals the same volume of black powder.

Below are some common ones along with a reference page link that lists the case capacity for many different [esp. rifle] cartridge cases:--->>> http://kwk.us/cases.html

Cartridge = Grains of powder by volume
    .25acp = 5.3
    .380 = 11.3
    9mm = 13.3
    .40 S&W = 19.3
    .30 Carbine = 21
    .38 Special = 23.4
    .45 Auto = 26
    .357 Mag = 27
    .44 Spl = 34
    .44 Rem Mag = 39
    .45 Colt = 41.6
    Last edited by arcticap; 10-09-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    There's a couple different versons of quick loaders available to hold the pre-measured powder, bullet and cap. I got a set of these with a "start up kit". I guess the idea is to have these readily available for follow up shots while the remainder of the powder, caps, bullet etc stay in the possibilities bag

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rapid loader.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	228513

This is my favorite powder measure that has a wide cavity, mouth & funnel, and is built to last a lifetime.--->>> https://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...ain-increments
    Although the marks are in 10 grain increments, it's easy to adjust for 5 grain increments by placing it half-way between 2 lines.
    Last edited by arcticap; 10-09-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Boolit Master

I weigh my BH 209 on a powder scale and carry charges in pre-measured vials.

The conversion is 100:70 or 100 grains by volume = 70 grains by weight.

Here is the copy and pasted info from the top of the load data sheet.

Volumetric Units (volumetric powder measure) 80 100 120
    Weight in Grains (weighed on a scale) 56 70 84

Here is the link to the load data.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-conte...loaderdata.pdf

Boolit Master

When I first purchased my first canister of BH, I can't remember if it came with or I got them separately but they are vials for BH with volume scales printed on the side.

Name:	863732.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	228527

Name:	61KjuSLi-WL._SL1239_.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	228528
    I got some more when I purchased a used BP rifle, so have enough to carry while hunting, though I can just refill with the powder flask pretty quickly.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Metricmonkeywrench, you put the bullet/sabot combo, or conical in the bottom of the carriers you show, bottom facing down, pop open the top and pour your powder down the barrel, then poke the bullet/sabot or conical out the bottom with your short starter. I carry a T handle type with a long enough end to start the bullet into the barrel, then remove and with your short starter, usually one good whack will get it done, then finish loading with your ramrod! I carry 4-5 loaded, with a capper for caps or 209 primers, never needed more than two, that was when I shot a double and reloaded!

Boolit Grand Master

For years when I was still working I used end mill tubes for speed loaders / measured charges. Later on I made some from brass tubing These used a turned end with a o ring seal to seal it. the other end had a light snug fit got the bullet or patched round ball. An eye was soldered on the side and a leather thong kept the cap attached to the tube.

In use the cap was removed and charge poured in barrel then the short starter pushed the bullet ball thru tube into the bore and rammed down. Using prelubed bullets the tubes needed cleaned between uses.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the tips. I like the idea of weighing the charges and loading into those quick load tubes that also hold the bullet. They are cheap enough that a guy could have a half dozen on him. Would also need to get a measure for range time. Those Blackhorn tubes are neat too with the measure right on the tube. Looking forward to getting into this muzzleloading thing.

Super Moderator

I use the charge tubes also. They are about the fastest reload out there. I just use a regular powder measure to fill them, and carry 2 or 3 with me while I'm hunting. They're pretty handy.