RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Lathe manual parts list

Boolit Grand Master

Lathe manual parts list

With the variety of interest here, I thought I'd ask.
    I saved two lathes from being thrown away.
    Had to take them apart to get them home.
    Both haven't been run for a long time.
    Looked like all the parts were there, but since they didn't run, I'm not sure.
    I'm wondering if anyone has manuals, exploded diagram, and parts list for these old tools.
    1) Sheldon 10" LWQU 6827
    2) Logan 11" 927
    I'd like to get them back in service.

Banned
    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/ See their antique machinery page. They have been a great big help to me sorting out my 1946 South Bend.

Ken

There's a yahoo group for the Sheldon lathes. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sheldonlathe/info I have a 12" (actually is 13-1/8"). Ebay is likely the best place for parts on it. DON'T lock the back gears on the Sheldon and beat the chuck off it is stuck on hard or you will break off bull and back gear teeth. Don't know why they seem more prone to breaking teeth, but the most frequent thread by newbies there is overwhelming excitement followed by "how do I fix these broken gear teeth". Mine came with broken bull and back gears which I had brazed and then used a fly cutter to cut the missing tooth valleys. Pins/jbweld seem to be a favorite repair on the yahoo site. Found several other broken teeth in the bottom of the headstock to add up enough that it happened more than once or twice which I think points more to the operator. I've replaced a few oilite bearings in the transmission a few years back, and I should replace one roller bearing in the transmission and a couple in the belt drive. Not bad for a 1952 lathe though.

A little info at UKlathes http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

Boolit Master
    broken teeth on the back gears near always caused by attempting to remove stuck threaded chucks.sometimes the threads can be very hard to move,and the temptation is to put a long Crescent wrench on the jaws,and apply much force,or worse using a hammer ,even a lead hammer to free the chuck with backgears engaged.