Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Question about RCBS Lube a Matic II

Boolit Buddy

Question about RCBS Lube a Matic II

Getting back into loading and casting. Before, I only sized a few bullets. I pan lubed and used a Lee sizer to seat gas checks. This time, I want to do a bit more. Looking at a RCBS Lube Sizer. Wanting to use some of the White Label lube hollow sticks. What size do they use? I see White Label offers sticks in both 1 x 4 and 2 x 4 sizes. I'm assuming the 1 x 4 hollow sticks are what I would need.
    Last edited by Namerifrats; 10-12-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Yep,
    1"X4" hollow sticks. Can't go wrong with White Label Lube.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!

Boolit Master
    If you don't want to use a heater get the Carnauba Blue lube.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have been using Carnuba blue in an ole RCBS Lube sizer. no heat necessary. Also good stuff. Glenn is a great guy to do business with.

Super Moderator

The White Label BAC, 2500+, and Carnuaba Blue can all be used with no heater. I'm waiting to run out of 2500+ to try the Blue that I just ordered. I've heard good things about it.

Boolit Buddy
    Never used a Lubesizer before. Looking at this RCBS because I see so many others using it on Youtube, must be good right? Lol. I was wondering about the heat. Saw the Lyman heating element, others say just use a 100 watt light bulb beside it with some sort of shield to keep the light out of you eyes and reflect the heat back onto the sizer. Also thought about using my heat gun to warm the lube cylinder a bit maybe every 10 minutes or so to soften the lube. Good info on the Carnauba Blue not requiring heat. Planned to get a 6-8 sticks of both the blue and red.

Boolit Master
    I have both the LAM -II and the Lyman heater. I use Carnauba Red on everything, except for my fireform loads for 30 cal. I found and ancient stick of RCBS rifle lube so I've been finger lubing , gas checking, sizing w/ a Lee sizing die and dipping them in JPW. No leading, so I'm happy.

I did call Glenn and asked him about the Carnauba Blue, and he said that if I'm getting good results with the red, why change?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Namerifrats View Post
    Also thought about using my heat gun to warm the lube cylinder a bit maybe every 10 minutes or so to soften the lube.
    If you leave the hea gun on for 10 minutes the lube will be running out of the sizer. I use my wifes (with her permission of course) old han held hair dryer for about 5 minutes. You just want to get the thing warm to the touch - not hot!

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Super Moderator

When I ordered my RCBS Lam II, I ordered a heater with it. I think I only used it a few times. The last time I used the heater, I forgot to unplug it. The lube melted out all over the carpet in my man cave... I thought my wife was going to kill me. I actually prefer the softer lubes that don't require a heater. BAC, 2500+, and the Carnuaba Blue do not need a heater, unless you're using your lube sizer outdoors in January in Minnesota.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    If you leave the hea gun on for 10 minutes the lube will be running out of the sizer. I use my wifes (with her permission of course) old han held hair dryer for about 5 minutes. You just want to get the thing warm to the touch - not hot!

Drew
    Lol, you misunderstood what I said. I said I would use it every 10 minutes or so to get it warm. Not for 10 minutes straight at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Namerifrats View Post
    Lol, you misunderstood what I said. I said I would use it every 10 minutes or so to get it warm. Not for 10 minutes straight at a time.
    You won't need it every 10 minutes or so - maybe 30 minutes
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

I have a Lyman 450, a Lam II and a SAECO sizer. If the lube doesn't flow, I just lay a 40W bulb against the sizer and fold a piece of aluminum foil around it. Can't ever get too hot and melt lube. Of course, I don't use really hard lubes.

Better get those incandescent bulbs soon. Getting hard to find.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

A lube heater may be required depending on ambient conditions. I have to use one in the colder months w/ the WL lubes that say they don’t require a heater. It’s not a big deal. But if the temps are in the fifties I use a heater. It’s not required in warmer months.

Boolit Master

I have used a drop light before, but now I use my hair dryer, on low, for maybe 10-15 minutes, placed about 2" from old Lachmiller.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

I have only been casting for a bit more than 2 years (been a reloader for far longer). Only about 250-300 pounds through the Pro Melt. To date, I have never lubed a bullet. 100% of mine have been coated, so far. HOWEVER, learning to lube bullets with a traditional lube/sizer intrigues me. I'll get to it some day. The LAM II is at the top of the list of hardware.

So threads like these are useful for folks like me that lurk, but don't have much to contribute other than, KUDOS!

Question: the LBT Blue Soft sounds like a great lube. Veral is quite proud of it. I was thinking about adding a supply to my next order. What is the shelf life, assuming being stored indoors at a steady 68F?