MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help on Win 92 tang sight mounting

Boolit Bub

Help on Win 92 tang sight mounting

I need to drill and tap a hole in the tang to mount Marbles tang sight and need to know the screw size and thread. It looks like an 8-36 screw but I don't have the tap to check it with. thanks for any help solving this issue. I have an email to Marbles but not hearing back yet.

Boolit Master
    I just put a Marble's tang on a Henry 22 a couple days ago, used 10-32.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    I need to drill and tap a hole in the tang to mount Marbles tang sight and need to know the screw size and thread. It looks like an 8-36 screw but I don't have the tap to check it with. thanks for any help solving this issue. I have an email to Marbles but not hearing back yet.
    A marbles base will fit my 92's without tapping an extra hole - I believe the tang bolt (on my rifle(s)) is 10x28, ...
    the forward screw with the grub screw plug in it appears to be 36 TPI but my 8x36 tap is way sloppy and a 10 size tap is too big?
    I mounted a pedersoli tang sight (shorter base) on one 92 - used the forward hole and tapped a second hole in the tang ahead of the tang bolt - a good setup cuz you can take the stock off without disturbing your tang site)
    (the marbles "new improved" sight was originally bought for a pedersoli 1876)

Boolit Buddy
    Call Buffalo arms in Sandpoint Idaho. They have the right drill/tap combo for the Winchester guns and know the metric thead size for the Braztech/ Taurus 92s. Also carry the sights.

Boolit Master
    The old Winnies I have around here -- the rifles are d&t and the carbines not. When you buy the marble's base you order screws separate to cover what your particular rifle has. The last Marble's screw set for 92/94 Winchester I got had the longer 12x28 to replace the tang screw and had 10X32 and 10X36 short screws included as I'm guessing a Winnie might have either of these if it was d&t-ed at the factory. Mine had apparently taken the 10X36 screw so I had an extra in 10X32 that I used to put a tang sight on the little Henry 22 (the tang screw itself was long enough I didn't have to replace it). If you're d&t-ing yourself you can decide what you want to use, but a 10X fits nicely.

Boolit Bub
    The screw turned out to be 10-36...the tap for it is a specialty tap for something I couldn't figure out from anybody(it was too costly) so I ordered a new screw from Marbles that is 10-32 and have the hole ready for the screw when it gets here. thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 10-32 tap on mine.

That size screw is also popular in radio control planes so you can often find a tap at a hobby shop (Dubro is one brand i've used a lot).