Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the hunt for a new powder measure. . .recommendations?

Boolit Buddy

On the hunt for a new powder measure. . .recommendations?

I'm in the market to replace my old (20/25 year old) RCBS Uniflow powder measure. It works fine for pistol loads and ball powders and some extruded powder, but not the greatest. Is there a powder measure out there that forum members use that can handle handgun and rifle loads with various types of powder that will accurately throw charges up to say 80 to 100 grains and as low as 5 grains. Please let me know what first hand experience you have with your recommendation. Thank you.

I have used Redding’s for years and am satisfied. Never went up to 80+ grains so not sure the upper limits. They are very accurate.

Boolit Master
    I like the Lyman 55 powder measure.Can be found on Ebay at decent prices at times.

I haven’t used one due to price but the Quick Measure has seen good reviews.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've tried so many different measures, that i can't remember them all.
    One thing I've found, is that the type of powder makes a difference.
    The one that did the best for me is an old Pacific.
    It works like the B&M with the tube.
    Next best was the Lee disc. As long as I use a single disc, or two of the same size.

I struggled with a Lyman 55 for years trying to measure Winchester 296 and sold it and got a Redding BR3. It's machined so close it NEVER binds up with 296 or the WC820 that I use a lot of now and is even finer than 296. The finer the powder the more consistent. Larger stick powder in any measure is a little more variable.

I use a Lyman 55 and it’s usually <1gr+\- off what I need bit if a pain to set but works well fine powders accuracy goes up. got a uniflow recently and have had the chance to use it once it worked quite well. only other one I’ve had much experience with was the Lee auto drum and it stays within +\-.1gr as long as the mechanicals don’t get boogered up. Have a fancy hornady auto charger but have only taken it out of the box to see what it looked like I’ll try some rifle rounds this winter when time provides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies fellas. 90% of my equipment is Redding and I've looked at their powder measures, I just don't hear/read as much talk about them as I do others. . .just wondering if it is due to price? I've read on here and in some other forums about the Frankford Arsenal powder measure, can anyone elaborate on them? I have never had any experience with any of their products. Keep the helpful advice coming so I can spend some money - LOL!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I have used Redding’s for years and am satisfied. Never went up to 80+ grains so not sure the upper limits. They are very accurate.
    + 1 for the Redding.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I love my Lyman Gen 6. I shoot a lot of shotgun powders like red dot and ther stuff that is hard to meter.. I can take it down to 2 grains and less for stuff like 25acp but most commonly dispense 6gr of red dot for 223. I really kept an eye on it for a while, but after using the snot outta it, it really does a great job. By the time I have a bullet seated, it is ready with another load of powder, to the grain. It has changed my routine and improved my style of loading. Also, it doesn’t take up much real estate on the loading bench and cost me 200 bucks on sale. Make the plunge, you won’t be sorry....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A546A39E-3BED-410D-B573-052A3FDAD0A0.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	228488

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

You hit the nail on the head about price being the reason some stay away from Redding. But, you get what you pay for !

Boolit Grand Master

The redding is a good measure but 80 grns is going to be maxing it out. The Belding and Mull is a good measure and with extra measure tubes very handy, but it is a 2 hand measure and again getting to 80-100 grns is going to be pushing it. They do very good with stick powders though and are rate d for Black powder use. The Lyman 55 is a good measure and should hit your mark on charge weight, a little tricky to set with the 3 slides though. Better would be one with culiver conversion on it. Harrels are very good measures very accurate and well made but are expensive. The cliver conversion and harrels you count clicks to set them. Write the measures setting down and they repeat very closely.

I have found most measures are at their best around the mid point of there charge weight capabilities. Loading big cartridges its sometimes easier and more accurate to set at half charge and make 2 dumps. What might be a better set up is a rcbs lil dandy with an adjustable rotor for small chares and a lyman or harrels for the bigger charges.

Here's a review on the Lyman BrassSmith powder throw...

https://thereloadersnetwork.com/2018...-powder-throw/
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I've collected 7 different current production PMs. The Quick Measure is by far the best and seriously most consistant PM for powders like IMR 4350 but it requires the most time to set up for any powder. The Lee Classic or it's now called the Deluxe is now my go to measure. Quick and easy to set up and very consistant for any powder type up to IMR 4895. I like its click micrometer, easy to read and set especially if you use VDM.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    I almost never use a powder drop anymore.
    I use a Lyman auto scale.
    Old and out of production for a while now, but it's the best I've found.
    I use it with all types of smokeless powders.
    Attachment 228505

Boolit Master
    Since I purchased an RCBS Chargmaster, when they were introduced, my three other powder measures are dedicated to throwing small charges of Bullseye. One Uniflow and two Hollywoods. All three have micrometer adjustments. Chargemaster is the best thing since sliced bread, IMO.

Winelover

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php
    I have a couple of Harrell's powder measures. Premium for rifles, Shuetzen for pistol, high quality, well made and accurate. They're not cheap by no means but I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"
    Last edited by Big Wes; 10-09-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Buddy
    Harrells makes a really nice unit.
    Worth every penny

Boolit Grand Master
    I tend to accumulate “classic” reloading equipment, including powder measures. My pistol measures tend to be ones using fixed cavity rotors like the RCBS Little Dandy and Lyman Accu-Measure as well as the old Pacific Powder Measure. For rifles I like the B&M Visible and my all time fave, the Ideal #5 Micrometer.

If I were starting new, my first step would be to buy the appropriate measure from Harrell and never look back.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

USMC 77, USRA 79

Nobody else likes the Lyman Gen 6???
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast