Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the hunt for a new powder measure. . .recommendations?

I was given a Gen6 and I didn't want it, nor any dang electronic measure. Now that I've been using it for 4 or 5 years I've changed my mind. The 505 and the M5 both get neglected most of the time. I use it mostly as a scale because I love my mechanical measures. However when single stage loading it dumps out +/-.01 of the set weights as fast as I can seat the bullets for my rifle loads. 99% of the time it drops -.01 grains of the set which is easily corrected by setting it .01 higher.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Nobody else likes the Lyman Gen 6???
    I've got one and it suits my needs fine. I also set it .1 over what I'm wanting as it usually stops that much shy. Only downside is that you can't store different charges.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

The most precise measure I’ve ever used is the old Saeco. They’re only available used and a little hard to find but they’re far more accurate than a Uniflow. They’re even good with stick powders.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for the vast amount of information and experiences. I am going to keep my UniFlow for lite handgun loads and buy another powder measure for heavier handgun and rifle loads. Still on the fence on which one I want. . .I have narrowed it down to two. I guess I just need to research a little more and bite the bullet so to say. I appreciate all the advice.

Boolit Grand Master

Look them up and see what is given for specs and reviews if any. Another thing to look at is size of the measure, some bigger taller measures may not fit your bench as well. have a Lyman BP measure with the taller aluminum hopper and it dosnt fit under a shelf in the stand.

Also when throwing the upper end charges you specified look at hopper capacity. 80-100grn charges empty a measure pretty quickly.

Lyman 55. Unique through black powder. It just plain works.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I'm new to using the gen 6. Its faster than I am but the beep really upsets my bird dog. If I dont find a way to quiet it, ill be using a 55 again

USMC 77, USRA 79

Every time it beeps, give your dog a treat...after one loading session, he will be happy to hear the beep.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Lyman 55 ++++++ nothing else to buy. If you get a used one get the two drop tubes so you can load 223 etc. The 55 is great at both small charges I throw 3.3 of tightgroup for my 380 and 49g of H4895 for my 06. The drum makes the 55 better than most other powder measures. You can mount it on a shelf or overhang, on your press or on a stand. Great all around powder measure.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    RCBS chargemaster lite. I just bought one. It's the best descion I've ever made. It has a fluted barrel,not smooth like all the other powder droppers so you don't get overcharges. I would have paid double for it. I had a charge master scale that I bought new 18 years ago I replaced with it. Talk about modern technology, it dose all the work. No more stupid manually trickling. It beeps when the charge is complete. My old scale has always jumped up and down since new being so sensitive. This new scale is rock solid and doesn't fluctuate at all.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-10-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12