Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Carrumba!

Boolit Master

Carrumba!

I'm having trouble with a Lee 2-banger that I hadn't had trouble with before. Folds and incidents, with temp ~720 and alloy that hadn't given any trouble before. See the pictures...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3662.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	228473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3664.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	228474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3665.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	228475
    Two of the four came the same time, different cavities! ***, Over? Re-scrubbed the mold, re-did it with brake cleaner, boiled it with Dawn, samo samo. My next attempt will be to soak it in either MinSpir or acetone... Any clues? Actually added an ounce of Sn (maybe 6 lbs in furnace), no joy. Carrumba...
    (And 3 different furnaces!)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Your mold isn't hot enough. Either heat it up on the shelf above the lead pot or on a electric burner. Or cast several more rounds until the mold gets hot enough. Turn your lead temperature up to 800 degrees until the castings start to come out frosted, then adjust down in temperature.

Boolit Master

On the first two pics, I agree that the mould is too cold. That third pic, it looks like some sort of inclusion in the boolits.

I can't say as I've ever seen that before.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps you are casting in a breeze with the recent cooling rains in AZ? The folds and bright shine on the bullets suggest cool mold and/or cool alloy. You added "tin" as in solder, or pewter? If you are using a bottom pour pot, it is free flowing or has a debris build up slowed the alloy flow which will also reduce the amount of heat in the mold. Dusty

Boolit Master
    That sure looks like contamination to me. Did you lube the sprue plate or pins?
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Thanks to all - Sn was added as 50/50 solder - and I will turn the pot up! Yes, cool breeze was blowing that day! Thanks again...
    Ed, AKA
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

gotta agree with it being cold, could always be wear and tear on your pot. Electronics have a mind of their own sometimes might have been running at a lower temp at you normal setting.

Boolit Master

Thermometer in pot, running about 720 to start (first pot), higher w/second (LEE), about 720 w/3rd SAECO. third loaded w/'A' alloy (~2+% Sn 6+% Sb. Will try third tomorrow, up to 750+ - first pot gets up to 720 wide open, so I guess I need higher for the balmy breezes of Fall in AZ...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

Boolit Master

Pot temp is only one part of the equation. It takes a while to get the mold up to temp. You might try fluxing with sawdust. It does an amazing job getting rid of contaminates.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Very shiny boolits = cold mold, slightly frosted boolits = good mold temp

Boolit Master
    What hermans said is dead on.

Boolit Master

Try sticking your tongue in the other cheek....*LOL* Some days things just go ****. The next day they go fine and no changes.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Along with a cold mold, try tipping the mold as you fill.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    I'm having trouble with a Lee 2-banger that I hadn't had trouble with before. Folds and incidents, with temp ~720 and alloy that hadn't given any trouble before. See the pictures...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3662.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	228473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3664.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	228474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3665.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	228475
    Two of the four came the same time, different cavities! ***, Over? Re-scrubbed the mold, re-did it with brake cleaner, boiled it with Dawn, samo samo. My next attempt will be to soak it in either MinSpir or acetone... Any clues? Actually added an ounce of Sn (maybe 6 lbs in furnace), no joy. Carrumba...
    (And 3 different furnaces!)
    Acetone OKAY, but not mineral spirits. That’s going the wrong way. It’s a very refined oil, but oil no less. You risk it soaking into tiny pores in the mold, only to come out when you pour lead in.

Have you tried changing the temperature of the pot? Both up and down?

I have had that sort of thing happen, but have always been able to cast through it and start making good ones.

Boolit Master

Will have to use furnace #3 from now until spring. It will get hot enough to take care of the wrinkles...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Acetone OKAY, but not mineral spirits. That’s going the wrong way. It’s a very refined oil, but oil no less. You risk it soaking into tiny pores in the mold, only to come out when you pour lead in.
    Aerosol brake cleaner is good also; leaves no residue at all. The non-chlorine stuff is pure hexane, which is very volatile. Just don't use it near a flame.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Looks like a cold mold , and what I've run across also is even a warm mold and the sprue plate is still cold will mess with your pour . I've never had trouble on the mold cleaning ( I use acetone or alcohol) most of my problems have come from getting sloppy with lubricating the alignment pins and under the sprue plate .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28