RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: //cylinder reaming?

Boolit Mold

//cylinder reaming?

Would like to get in touch with DougGuy. The latest issue of "The Fouling Shot"has an article in which DougGuy is mentioned as making this service available. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Super Moderator Emeritus
    PM Doug guy and tell him what you need he does great work.

His forum name is DougGuy. Use the search function to find one of his posts. Click on his name, and send him a PM. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Vendor Sponsor

KansasKid simply left click on my name over to the left, choose "private message" from the drop down menu.. Please include the caliber and gun make in your message..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Doug,
    You seem to be a knowledgeable and respected guy on this site. Maybe you can help.

I want to shoot my own cast bullets to keep ammo cost down. Currently shooting a Colt Trooper III (.38/.357), Ruger Bisley Vaquero (45LC) and a Navy Arms SSA clone (45LC). I have trouble with leading in all three guns. I hardened my range scrap lead up to BN 18 or so with RotoMetals 30% antimony. I have tried Alox, RBCS lube sizer with the orange stuff, and the high tech plastic you have to bake on in the oven and gas checks. I have not yet tried power coating. That's next.

During the course of all of these trials, I still have to clean the lead from cylinder, forcing cone and the first half inch or so of rifling.
    I'm worried about harming the gun with aggressive cleaning. I originally found this forum because I was considering a cylinder ream to help cleaning. Not sure if this is a good idea or will even work.

Any advice you can give on removing lead or, more importantly, not getting it in the first place, would be much appreciated.

Les

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    LesRoss,

Why are you shooting such hard bullets? I think THAT is your problem, because the hard bullets will not upset to form a gas seal. I use 1:30 tin-lead, about 8 BHN in my .44-40, .44 Mag. and .45 Colt loads with bullet diameter 0.001" less than throat size and have no leading issues.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.