Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Who on here uses a Henry in 357? Opinions?

Who on here uses a Henry in 357? Opinions?

I am considering a Henry in 357 Mag. Probably the Big Boy Steel or the All Weather version. The factory site says it works well with 38 special as well.
    I am well set up for cast in 38/357 with both plain base and gas check.
    I am wanting opinions on the Henry.
    Is accuracy good with both 38 and 357? (I am looking for 4 inch at 100yds if possible).
    Are there any issues with feeding different nose profiles?
    Are there any issues with feeding the 38 specials?
    Do you have any issues with the rifle at all?

Boolit Master

Tazman-I won a Henry .357 steel frame in a club raffle. I kept it for about a month where I tried many many different .357 and .38 spl loads. It fed and functioned just fine with the exception that ejection was very weak and occasionally would not clear the gun. Had I kept it I'm sure it would be an easy fix. The gun itself is a solid pound heavier than the Rossi 92's and that was my main objection to it. I've owned all the .357 levers,Winchester 94,Marlin 94, Browning B92 and 2 Rossi's. The Winchester was the most accurate but junk mechanically. The Browning was nice but no more accurate than the others and in great demand so I sold it. The Rossi's are accurate and dependable. As long as you don't mind the weight I think the Henry will be just fine.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I have the BBS shorty big loop. It eats anything I feed it. Mine also had weak ejections and Henry promptly corrected the issue for me. My favorite bullet is a 180 gr. from a Accurate mold. Tom was very accommodating when I was choosing. I shoot the Henry over the Marlin now.

I'm thinking about adding a Henry .357 to my collect of lever action rifles.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master
    I've got the Henry BB Brass in 357. Great rifle. Yes-- it's heavy-- but every load I've tried seems to work great.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    I got the big boy steel and for the money it is a great rifle. I picked it up to replace my marlin 1894 carbine as my backup rifle for nra lever action pistol cartridge silhouette matches. Got the trigger down to 1.25 pounds, put a williams rear sight on and tested my match loads. Well the rifle shoots, just as good as my primary rifle, a 1894 CB in 357 mag. The henry shoots better than the Marlin it replaced. This year I have seen more henry rifles showing up at matches.

Are there any loads that don't feed well?
    I would like to load the Lyman 358429 and the RCBS 180 tc silhouette boolits as long as they will feed. They will not work in some revolvers with shorter cylinders such as the S&W 27.
    I know that the Henry BB in 45 colt has a length restriction that is fairly long but still can cause problems if a long enough boolit is used.

With mine if you go over the 1.590 oal it doesnt like it to much. Might be different with another one but not having the gun to check it out leaves it in question.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Master
    I will echo what some have said here it is a heavier rifle. Not an issue for me if I want to go light weight I carry my Glock model 40..... I use the accurate mould Tom at Accurate developed for the Lever Action it feeds flawless because it's designed to stay with in the COL that allows reliable feeding. I just really can run this little brass carbine and stay on target. It is one my favorite rifles to hunt and plink with and has wide range of versitility because of loads. Little to no recoil because of the heft of the rifle. I am just really tickled with this fine little rifle and seeing it supports American families and workers that is a good thing to me personally.

My Henry steel 357 works flawlessly with 38 spl loads using LBTs 140 lfn and my own #36-135A.
    100 yd groups average 1.5".

I've never tried 357 brass in it.