RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expanding some cases, ideas?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Expanding some cases, ideas?

I need a metal casing to enclose an electronics project (it needs a shield around it to exclude electrical noise so a shell casing came to mind.)

Think it's going to take a 50 BMG case to do this.

So I need to turn the 50 BMG casing I got, into a straight-walled case so I can fit the printed circuit board into it.

I am guessing something like a steel tapered pin driven in there should do the job? In several stages, maybe with annealing it before / during. Thinking on it.

I could try fire forming it in a 12Ga but no idea what load would do it Maybe a large O ring or the like to retain the case so the primer strike fires it.

If someone has a better idea, I am sure game; Not in a huge hurry but want to get this done once I get two more things over with and get to this one.

Thank you, all

Banned
    You can't just cut the bottle neck portion off? Do you need the entire length?

For the amount of effort you might be better off with a section of copper pipe and a couple of end caps. Does the shield need to be closed on both ends? Maybe just a section of copper pipe without the appearance of a bomb-like pipe with two end caps and wires hanging out

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    You can't just cut the bottle neck portion off? Do you need the entire length?

For the amount of effort you might be better off with a section of copper pipe and a couple of end caps. Does the shield need to be closed on both ends? Maybe just a section of copper pipe without the appearance of a bomb-like pipe with two end caps and wires hanging out
    Great idea, much safer too!

Boolit Buddy
    The copper tubing idea sure seems to be the simple answer, or do you need the thickness and weight of the BMG?

Another option would be a solid brass 12 gauge case, or if too short, two of them, mouth to mouth, with wrap or two of electrical tape to hold together.

Boolit Master

aluminium foil wrapped around pvc pipe
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

I'm not into circut board type electronics. I have built a lot of switching units and corded remotes for
    farm machinery. I use Carlon PVC boxes wich can be bought in many sizes. The remote switches I
    put in Carlin PVC 1/2" electrical conduit, capped on the ends. 3/4" is also available if the extra space
    is needed. I don't know if PVC would provide the shielding you need. If not the copper tube would be
    next best thing. There is also Stainless Steel tube available from industrial supply outlets. I once put
    a remote corded micro switch in a section of 12g shotgun magazine with a bicycle grip on it for class.
    In a pinch a 50cal brass will make a adapter from 3/4" to 1/2" copper tube. This is probably classed
    as Red Neck Tech compared to your project.

Copper pipe would make an ugly, graceless enclosure though. I am trying to make this look sorta elegant or at least functional Has to be metal and well grounded, there will be a metal pin out one end (Probably the primer hole, drilled out) and cord out the neck hole so it has very good strain relief. I'll figure something out

Banned
    Well a 50 BMG casing would be more elegant than a piece of copper pipe but if you need to open the neck up in order to get the circuit board inside, you still might be better off with a section of 3/4" or 1" copper pipe.
    By the time you expand the neck and drill out the primer pocket, you could likely make 2 or 3 units with a simple section of copper pipe and end caps.

Rigid copper tubing ___ in the lathe __ cut ends true __ counterbore one half the thickness of the tubing to a depth 0.40 plus the thickness of a round copper plug (penny) . Drill the wire holes in the plug. Assemble and put in the plugs and using a sharp point punch , peen three times around perifery at 120 degrees holding in the plug. Could be taken apart by unpeening from the inside for repairs. Then the outside of the rigid tubing could be held in a milling machine and made to look fancy with some fancy cutting. Then on to the chrome plating. Well, I didn't have much to do with my idle mind right now, so there is my story and I am sticking to it.

Banned
    That would work but the cost in labor would be a lot higher than a section of 1" copper pipe, 45 seconds with a tubing cutting and slipping two end caps (one with a hole drilled in it) onto the pipe.......

No lathe, no counter bore, no pennies, no peening, no chrome plating, no fancy cutting but an adequate electronic shield.

But Mr Sheesh said copper pipe is ugly and graceless. He wants something elegant and functional, reason for fancy cutting , chrome plating and no graceless copper caps. Heh Heh Heh & LOL

No lathe here :/ I just like the idea of a nice case as an enclosure, mumble.

Boolit Buddy

Mr Sheesh

Can you give some dimensions of what would work ie,
    length,inside/outside sizes, dimensions of holes need etc.

I have some Ideas, but need some info to work with,
    what colors would accept, Polished/coated copper, nickle spiraled design etc.

Tia,
    Don

Copper pipe and end caps, simple and can be had in many sizes.

My friend who was over today (we're making at least one of these apiece) thinks a 50BMG case may be too short, BUT, he hasn't seen how good I am at cramming prototypes into minimal space. (Used to do that for a local company, I could put through hole parts together to match the density you'd get with SM0805 parts, by stacking parts above the board and cutting parts of the socket off, trimming the frame, and so on.) I haven't done schematic entry yet, much less done the PC board, but I suspect I can fit it in a straightened out 50BMG case, I have a LOT of tricks I can use, if I have to go higher tech and get PC boards made commercially that'll let me do even tighter boards. I'll know in 2-3 days depending on what interruptions happen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    No lathe here :/ I just like the idea of a nice case as an enclosure, mumble.

I get it Have fun with your project.

In Remembrance
    Would an aluminum cigar case work?
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Buddy

What about a 20mm, 30mm or 40mm shell cases?

Tia,
    Don

I'd thought of an Al cigar case but didn't think they're quite strong enough. I'm concerned that I'd mash it either in transporting it or in use. The 50 is large enough, if I used a 20mm shell or larger that's getting a bit unwieldy to hold in your hand, tracing out a signal, short of making a forearm attachment for it and then a short piece of co-ax to the probe tip; If I have to go that way I'd just use a flat, wider Al enclosure. Trying to make it a one-hand dealie

Boolit Master
    How about using some brass pipe?. 1/2", and up and readily available at Lowe's or Home Depot. And they even make brass pipe caps. Polishes up nice and the ones I have the pipe caps are machined not cast then threaded. Just a thought. Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast