Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 357 Max

Boolit Master

357 Max

Anyone ever see a Rossi 92 or a Marlin 1894C 357 Mag reamed for 357 Max and feed correctly?
    Thanks Aaron

Boolit Grand Master
    Makes you wonder, if it could be done....why have the two factories not done it ?

Boolit Buddy
    I think the first issue you would run into is feeding issues, due to longer overall case length. Would probably be easier to deal with in Marlin, than 92.

It has been years since I did any serious playing with Maxi. Still have three pistols, which I keep saying I am going to take out, but too many shiny things distract me. The real advantage of the Max comes with heavier bullets, which compounds the OAL issue.

I used to spend some time at the Graybeard Outdoors forums. The Handi Rifle guys and the Contender guys would regularly ream 357 to Max, and passed reamers from member to member to do such. You might want to check them out.

I am sure you will get some input from folks smarter and more experienced than me on this issue, but just some thoughts.

There's a couple mentioned over a Marlin Owners (one 1894 and a 336), but not much in the way of pictures. I'm slowly working on one based off of a 336 that I hope to have done in time for this deer season. With carrier mods I was able to get it to feed 38's, 357mag, and 357Max into a 357Max test barrel (chunk of rod threaded for a marlin with a chamber cut into it). Bolt mods were just deepening the extractor and ejector slots slightly to let it grab the smaller rim and a few thousands off of the front of the bolt for the thinner rim. Got the BMG barrel blank octagon roughed out and test fired a dozen times or so. Haven't touched it in a couple of months, but the barrel need the final tapered profile cut, polished, magazine clearance cut towards the chamber, dovetails for mag/forearm/sights, blued, stock refinished ect. Don't think I'll get it done in the next 5 weeks, so hopefully in time for doe season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357Max-336-testfire.JPG  

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info guy's! No ben , doesn't make me wonder that. Lots of cartridge's not chambered that could be. Moleman, Thanks I think the 336 makes alot more sense.
    Aaron