MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: .25 ACP Accuracy Issues with a Baby Browning

Boolit Master

.25 ACP Accuracy Issues with a Baby Browning

I've been playing round with mouse guns for a month or so and have added 5 new toys to the safe. 3 of which are .25's. I'm loading RCBS 50 gr pills sized to .251 in a lubrisizer. Firstly, I am admittedly not the engineer type caster. I've never been to technical, and yes, I've never even slugged a bore. That said, I cast and shoot 10-12 calibers with almost no issues. Enter the Baby Browning. This little guy is slinging lead everywhere, even a few keyholes. My Mauser 1910 shoots the same loads like a laser. The Browning is in great overall condition with a near perfect bore. I even went so far as to break taboo and buy a box of factory ammo, and they shot with excellent accuracy. I would love some insight.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Your .251 diameter lead bullets are too small.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

When your bullets keyhole, they're too small.

Boolit Master

Every .25 acp bullet mold (and there are few) advertises a drop diameter of .251. Is there a answer to casting a .252 bullet? I had to wait 4 months for RCBS to do it's limited run just to get the one mold I have.

Boolit Master
    I think the Ranch Dog mold is slightly heavier and larger in diameter. He isn't in business anymore I don't believe but you may be able to snag one on ebay. I did some time ago.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Search "Beagleing". I think that is spelled right. Tells you how to make your mold cast larger.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Super Moderator

Here is the link to "Beagling" a mold.http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/BDE.pdf It does work.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Every .25 acp bullet mold (and there are few) advertises a drop diameter of .251. Is there a answer to casting a .252 bullet? I had to wait 4 months for RCBS to do it's limited run just to get the one mold I have.
    Try casting your mold with straight linotype and they will drop about 0.0015" larger than straight wheelweights. Then use Lee Liquid Alox and load as-cast and unsized.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I believe NOE picked up some of the RanchDog designs. Give them a looksee. They will also cut a mold to the diameter you want with your ally factored in.