Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Frame Issues

J Frame Issues

I recently purchased a NEW M&P 340 and am experiencing a problem where after firing 15-20 rounds the cylinder when swung open does not rotate freely, it develops some excessive drag.

I removed the cylinder and discovered flakes of lead are accumulating in the yoke bore causing the binding. I scrape them off with my fingernail, lightly lube everything and GTG until the next 15-20 rounds.

What I did notice is my cylinder gap is all out of whack. Measured with a feeler gauge the driver side is .010 and the passenger side is .007. My gauge is too wide to pass through. This seems not only excessive but why the difference? Something bent? Not aligned correctly? I will call S&W tomorrow and see if there is anything they can do.
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

You could/should check barrel to throat alignment with a range rod, assuming you can come up with something the right size that will work.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master

I have a m&p 340 PD. Well, it's my 2nd one. S&W replaced the first. I had an issue with the B/C gap wider at the bottom than the top, but the main problem was the cylinder would slip past the stop on the frame when I tried to eject the cases. Not a good thing on a SD handgun.

Hope they take care of you, mine was replaced about 2007 +/- , it's been a while. They issued a prepaid shipping label and I got back a new frame with my barrel. They squared the barrel and it is still in spec. It was very close to touching at the top.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    At S&W they apparently still face off barrels by hand with a file, instead of using statistical.process control to produce parts which assemble and fit within tolerance. Cannot believe they are still in the 19th Century...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    That S&W J-frame needs to go back to S&W.

I have an older model 60 in 38 special which will gum up around the cylinder axle making it harder to turn. It takes a lot more than 15-20 rounds though and none of the problem is lead chips.
    I can go a range session without problems. Usually 50-100 rounds and then do a good cleaning when I get it home. I just have to take the cylinder off the gun and make sure it is clean.
    Mine has very tight throats at around .356. Fortunately the barrel is at .355 so it all works out well for accuracy and no leading.

It definitely is going back. I am going to tear it down one more time and take pictures. Shoot it again to gum it up and ship it back. Should of done that the first time ( pictures)
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Well, seems I no longer know how to add photos?
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

You're right to send the gun back to S&W for the BC gap issue. The yoke barrel and bore interference may well be related to excess combustion byproducts escaping as well. However, I have found that oil will cook in this area and cause difficulty. The solution I've found most reliable is to clean with WD40, and reassemble without any further lubrication. The residual WD40 supplies sufficient lubrication, and does not cook and gum. Cylinders turn freely much longer. Don't be concerned about the old wives tale of contaminated ammunition; the tiny amount of WD40 here won't migrate to your chambers.
    Last edited by Tatume; 10-08-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    You're right to send the gun back to S&W for the BC gap issue. The yoke barrel and bore interference may well be related to excess combustion byproducts escaping as well. However, I have found that oil will cook in this area and cause difficulty. The solution I've found most reliable is to clean with WD40, and reassemble without any further lubrication. The residual WD40 supplies sufficient lubrication, and does not cook and gum. Cylinders turn freely much longer. Don't be concerned about the old wives tale of contaminated ammunition; the tiny amount of WD40 here won't migrate to your chambers.
    It most definitely is lead, I am trying to figure how to add a photo.

Aaaah, got it! Size to big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181008_201236.jpg   20181008_201451.jpg  
    Last edited by 12DMAX; 10-08-2018 at 08:17 PM.
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Boolit Master
    I have a 340CT.....be careful with the buildup. I had a chunk come loose and cut a gash in my cheek. It drew blood and a bunch of it.

I now only shoot with shooting glasses....bb gun or 454 Casull.

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I have a 340CT.....be careful with the buildup. I had a chunk come loose and cut a gash in my cheek. It drew blood and a bunch of it.

I now only shoot with shooting glasses....bb gun or 454 Casull.
    I have no build up anywhere else, all down inside the cylinder yoke. I measured everything again tonight, I borrowed some narrower feeler guages. .007 will pass snuggly through from the passenger side, .010 from the driver side will only pass through until it finds the .007 side.

The bushing is not shown in the pictures.
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Received tracking number today that my 340 is on its way back to me. Will post up corrective action once I receive it.
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

I expect that your modern J-frame does not have a gas ring at the front of the cylinder, therefore there is no barrier to prevent lead residue from being blasted into the crane or yoke arbor. Putting a drop or two of CLP into the yoke barrel would help, but it would be best to limit use to jacketed bullets unless you clean carefully and frequently. I can also see from your pictures that the little trolls with files are still fitting S&W parts using their 19th Century methods....
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-05-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I expect that your modern J-frame does not have a gas ring at the front of the cylinder, therefore there is no barrier to prevent lead residue from being blasted into the crane or yoke arbor. Putting a drop or two of CLP into the yoke barrel would help, but it would be best to limit use to jacketed bullets unless you clean carefully and frequently. I can also see from your pictures that the little trolls with files are still fitting S&W parts using their 19th Century methods....
    LOL! The fella on the phone today told me they R&R the yoke and fixed the barrel? (whatever that means). I thought the same thing the first time i removed the cylinder and saw that craftsmanship on the yoke!!
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Quote Originally Posted by 12DMAX View Post
    LOL! The fella on the phone today told me they R&R the yoke and fixed the barrel? (whatever that means). I thought the same thing the first time i removed the cylinder and saw that craftsmanship on the yoke!!
    Not the way that Archie Dubeya and Chet Grondalski taught me... Maybe the 0.010" barrel-cylinder gap is a pressure-relief gap to reduce strain on the cylinder from firing +P ammo?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...a-Wheelgun-101
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Not the way that Archie Dubeya and Chet Grondalski taught me... Maybe the 0.010" barrel-cylinder gap is a pressure-relief gap to reduce strain on the cylinder from firing +P ammo?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...a-Wheelgun-101
    Maybe, I don't know. What I do know is it was not a consistent BCG. That in itself tells me somebody was asleep at the inspection wheel. It was a NIB revolver.
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Quote Originally Posted by 12DMAX View Post
    Maybe, I don't know. What I do know is it was not a consistent BCG. That in itself tells me somebody was asleep at the inspection wheel. It was a NIB revolver.
    It tells me that they are still facing off barrels by hand with a file, instead of machining them via CNC to the correct tolerances so that parts fit correctly as assembled, without requiring hand fitting, which is the way they were doing it on the "Six" series at Ruger when I worked there back in the 1980s!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

It tells me that they are still facing off barrels by hand with a file, instead of machining them via CNC to the correct tolerances so that parts fit correctly as assembled, without requiring hand fitting, which is the way they were doing it on the "Six" series at Ruger when I worked there back in the 1980s!
    Got it, Thank you.
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Package arrived today, Job order States:

1. Fixed Barrel
    2. Replaced yoke

B.C.G measures .005 . I believe they replaced the front sight also? I don't remember it being SO bright and white lettering SO white?

Will test fire this weekend.
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast