WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: something i've noticed on reload manuals (and other published data)

Boolit Master
    My first load manual was Speer #11. At the top of the page was a list of the components and the rifle that was used for testing. Who pays attention to that stuff? First time I Lake City once fired 308 the start load from the manual brought the powder to just below the neck/shoulder junction. 2/10's of a grain was part way up the neck. YIKES!

I started buying manuals and picking up load pamphlets when I was at the gun shows or gun shop that sold reloading supplies. Eventually you'll get enough info to reload what you have at hand.

Boolit Master
    The Lee loads correspond with their dippers and should not be used for reloading with modern smokeless powders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    The Lee loads correspond with their dippers and should not be used for reloading with modern smokeless powders.
    Would you mind elaborating a bit more on that statement, Please?
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I use lyman manuals all the time, both cast and regular. also have lee and a lyman ar load book. have another one but can't remember off hand what it is.
    I think all companies use each other data. in todays world, would not be shock if some was data worked up by reloaders like us.

as for dipper, in "theory" it should give you consistent powder charges, as long as you are doing your part. but you would have to buy a set for different charge volumes. so if lee, is using other companies load data to start with, they have to figure what dipper will load with what powder and bullet. I think they are the only company that has a dipper measuring system, so it makes sense that they would load and test with only a dipper charge load. but they also give Autodesk data, the work up for that has to be factored. they may have a custom computer program that translates the data but It would not make sense to publish something without even a fixed battery test.
    Last edited by corey012778; 10-16-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Boolit Master

Lee dippers work just fine with modern smokeless.

The volumtric information given for powders in Lee modern roloader is merely reference only. And shoukd be checked.

Your supposed to do your load work up. When you get the load dialed in then you measure your volume of your load. Then pick your corresponding dipper.

Thats all a powder dispenser is in essence. A fancy compact adjustable Lee dipper with a built in credit card to scrap it level. I can dip just a consently with a Lee dipper and my powder dropper. Ones just faster than the other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Can't have too many manuals as I see it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0490 (2).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	229006

I generally use several sources and average the minimum charge amount for the cartridge combo I am loading. I then do the same with the maximum listed from several sources. I then average the averages of the minimum/maximum. Crazy it sounds, but it has always worked for me. That gives a middle range load using all of the data available, at least with the sources you have...

It is interesting that sometimes the final average, mid-range, is less or more than other sources list...

Good-luck...BCB
    Quote Originally Posted by therealhitman View Post
    I'm betting I'm not the only one looking at that picture, then my own bookcase, and going "Hey...that looks like my shelf!"

I agree, I've been collecting manuals since the late 60's and am still adding new ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loading manuals-1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	229007
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123