Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so i got me a trail camera to see if i can catch a gas thief.

Boolit Master

so i got me a trail camera to see if i can catch a gas thief.

and i have a question.

can cats see infra red light?

we don't have a cat and we don't feed anything stray.

yet last night i got 40 pictures of at least 4 different cats (and 2 squirrels)

they come right up to it and stare into it.

the camera make no sounds what so ever....so can they see it?

Boolit Master
    Looks like no but my buddy had 2 of his camera's ripped off trees by black bears and the trees weren't in it's path.

Boolit Master
    I would say
    it is a combination of camera noise when it took their pic since they have great hearing to catch small quiet critters, it was something different in their "area" and with their great night sight they probably actually saw/noticed it as being a "new" thing in "their" environment, and just plain old curiosity.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I have two older cameras that the infrared bulbs actually glow red monetarily when taking a shot. I've had lots of shots where deer and bear are looking straight at it when the pic was taken.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cats, bears, and other animals have a keen sense of smell.
    Something that smells different, might be the reason.
    Whenever I get something new, my cat wants to sniff it.
    After that, she could care less about it.

Boolit Master

The Passive InfraRed (PIR) that wakes the camera and the flash capacitor that charges just before a shot probably make noise outside of the range of human hearing, on which the animals zero in.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Did you tell the police about the cats stealing the gas? Bet they want Animal Control to tend to it.

Boolit Master
    Don`t know about cats.BUT,during WW2,the Navy did some testing of people that had had cataract surgery,because some of them were able to detect IR emissions.IIRC,the Navy took some of them to the Pacific to help spot IR signals used to signal for pickups off of some of the islands of coast watchers.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

IMO Coons and Deer both can see the IR flash or here something , but it dose not alarm them
    As I use Bushnell trail cameras and I have had a number of coons and deer come over and check out the camera

LOL Over the years I have gotten a bunch of pictures of deer nose's and coon paws as they check out the camera

I even got a picture last year of a Coyote stealing apples and eating it

Good luck with the gas thief

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    We can see into Ultraviolet somewhat too; I hadn't known about IR. A local "weird science" group has directions on making goggles that only allow UV light through, so you can see in just UV and learn more about that. Cheap even.

Good luck on catching pictures of the thieves!

Boolit Master
    Cats have better hearing than dogs so any sound we as humans can't hear cats can and cats being overly noisy have to check out that strange "box".

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Of the components inside the trail camera - Some will vibrate when the cam is recharging after taking a photo, and this can be audible to them - Plus that lens looks like an eye - If something makes ANY noise and has an eye, It Must Be Sniffed, whether by a passing dog or a passing cat. Scent makes sense too, any different scent can mean food, and critters like "fast food" :P

Boolit Master

I would say it's hearing more than anything else, I have sixteen cats (Yep, sixteen) but these are "working" cats here on the farm and I have a good reason for having them. That part doesn't matter but I have two that are approaching 20 years old and one that's already past twenty by a few months and I am quite partial to these old guys since I have had them so long. They can't eat dry cat food anymore like the others so the "good stuff" is reserved for them and I absolutely MUST open the cans inside the house! I have tried to be as quite as possible and open a can so slowly I didn't think anything could hear it but the other cats know the sound of the cans being opened and come running from everywhere, it's truly amazing at how far away they can detect the sound of a cat food can being opened no matter how slowly and quietly I do it!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    oldred, I may disagree with some of your opinions, but sure do admire you for taking good care of your older kitties.

I grew up with horses, dogs and cats. Had one cat that lived to 24 years old.

Good on you, sir.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I vote sound. I have seen a video of a fox walking on the top of 2 or more feet of snow and the fox detects the sound of a mouse moving on the ground below. Then the fox jump way up in the air and dives head first into the snow and grabs the morsel for lunch. I also have seen dogs that hear their owners coming home from blocks away. The dogs learned the sound of the car on the road. If the owner catches a ride home the dog does alert until the owner gets out of the car in front of the house.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

I have always heard that a number of animals (especially dogs) can't see the color red, but my dog loves chasing a red laser around the living room floor.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Cats have better hearing than dogs so any sound we as humans can't hear cats can and cats being overly noisy have to check out that strange "box".
    I can't speak about Dogs...But I agree that Cats have incredible hearing...and it's "directional".

One year (about 20 years ago), I was deer hunting on a farm that had a small herd of cats. One was particularly friendly to me. She walked with me, to my deer hunting spot, we sat down and waited for the deer, I'd hear a noise, a very slight noise and wasn't sure exactly where it was coming from. I'm not sure exactly when I figured this out, but I soon learned to watch the cat's ears when I'd hear another slight noise, the open cavities of those tiny ears open up some and would move to the direction of the noise. It was like having a furry radar. She and I hunted the whole season together.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

My Cat learned the sound of my company truck. She would hear me coming home from blocks away and be sitting inside the back door when I came in. My Wife learned to watch her and would get up and turn the porch light on for me.

Moderator Emeritus

Whenever I come home Tigger(RIP) and Oreo would be waiting at the door to greet me and have to smell my hands to make sure I wasn't petting any strange kitties.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I can't speak about Dogs...But I agree that Cats have incredible hearing...and it's "directional".

One year (about 20 years ago), I was deer hunting on a farm that had a small herd of cats. One was particularly friendly to me. She walked with me, to my deer hunting spot, we sat down and waited for the deer, I'd hear a noise, a very slight noise and wasn't sure exactly where it was coming from. I'm not sure exactly when I figured this out, but I soon learned to watch the cat's ears when I'd hear another slight noise, the open cavities of those tiny ears open up some and would move to the direction of the noise. It was like having a furry radar. She and I hunted the whole season together.
    I think you may be on to something there..."hunting kitties" Tracker Cats" ..."seeing eye dogs, hearing ear cats" Hmmmmmmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast