Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Thanks for that update Grmps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Do yourself a favor, take you computer to a nerd, and have them remove every trace of Windows, and install Linux.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Do yourself a favor, take you computer to a nerd, and have them remove every trace of Windows, and install Linux.
    ^^^^^^^^ THIS!!

Linux Mint 19 is EASY to run. EASY to install, and it runs on hardware that Microsoft has dropped support for, so instead of letting Redmond FORCE you into upgraded hardware JUST so winblows will run on it, switch to Linux, Linux Mint being the easiest Linux for windows users. Opt for the Cinnamon desktop editioin.. You can thank us later!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    As soon as Linux will run all my apps and programs

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    As soon as Linux will run all my apps and programs
    Yep... what Grmps said. Has its place for some things, but much like Apple it has **** for software.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Another vote for Linux Mint here, dead easy if you follow instructions.

And still doable if your old school and just wing it.

Boolit Master
    Microsoft has put that update on hold because of the data loss issue. Won't release it until they find and fix the problem. I backed up all my pictures and documents anyway..... not that I don't trust them.

Boolit Master
    I went to a dual boot system with LinuxMint Cinnamon 18.2 about 2 years ago. Been using it 99% of the time. Only go back to widows a tax time. This coming tax time I am going to try something on LinuxMint. Federal is easy its the state taxes. I really like it.

Boolit Master

Yes they stopped it, latest in update history should be "1803".
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    I went to a dual boot system with LinuxMint Cinnamon 18.2 about 2 years ago. Been using it 99% of the time. Only go back to widows a tax time. This coming tax time I am going to try something on LinuxMint. Federal is easy its the state taxes. I really like it.
    Yep, I'm in the same situation, use a dual boot system because there are some programs that just won't run under Wine. Good luck trying to use an Iphone under Linux. "IF" you do find something that will do income tax under Linux be sure to post the info.

Boolit Master
    I have win 10 on 1 system

why win 7 will not run on a newer AMD cpu /Motherboard ...Ryzen CPU does not support Win 7

I tried for several days ( not a computer nerd... only a bit) Mint / linex would not run my video card to its full potential

computer would not play sound through video card when watching a movie..

Love Linex /mint .... almost a one click install.. my video card not supported....

if you buy the right stuff not a problem ... read the box and ask the right questions...

ps
    I have 15 years of digital family pictures backed up on a hard drive that is not connected to a computer.... for.. power surge.. malware.. virus

Boolit Master
    I know about The iPhone problem. Wish apple would come up with program to work on Linux. I've been a iPhone user for about 10 yrs. the only cell phone I will own. Just about 3-4 generations behind the newest ones.

Boolit Master
    That is the problem I have now with Linuxmint Cinnamon 19 and had with 18.2 video sound even though all the way turned up you can barely hear it. Plug in the ear pods or headphones volume works just fine or Bluetooth speakers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I replaced my hard drive with an SSD (120 GB, $32) and installed Linux Mint 19. What an amazing difference! I can boot the computer and be on the internet in 90 seconds, and no constant nagging for anti-virus and Window updates. So far I've been able to find software to do everything Windows did.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I went to a Chrome Book about two laptops ago and never looked back. We still have a Window's 10 laptop at home, that never gets used. It's too slow...

I have W 10. Works pretty well as is. I have two Passports; big and bigger to save my important stuff. Biggest problem I have is the apparent random way it saves downloads. Waste a lot of time looking for downloads.

I'm a fan of Ubuntu and linux in general. Have to keep Window$ around for some things and I have to use it at work. I have fixed up a bunch of my older friends that are mostly computer illiterate with linux installs, its mostly bullet proof for the Internet surfers and easily fixed if they do blow it up. Other than work all my computers are pretty much trash picks. In my limited experience Intel chipsets play better with linux than others especially video.

If you are afraid of Win 10's automatic downloading and installing updates, then the one fix i've found is to change your internet to Metered Connection.
    This will stop all downloads. I've had other folks have major issues with some laser software that is used for most fiber lasers and the company is slow to update.
    I stopped last couple on my main laser computer and no issues so far. Would love linux, but software will most probably not run on it.
    (should try old laptop I guess)

Boolit Master

I have enough systems to run what I want, so one is on Linux Mint 19 (64), one Linux Mint 19 (32), one on Win 7 Ultimate (64) and another on Win 7 Ultimate (32). The Linux machines are just for surfing, occasional pdf, or office document creation and printing. The Win 7 machines run programs that won't run under Linux (or I don't have the Linux version), such as my Photoshop. But I must admit, I'm on my android tablet more than my laptops, if they could run everything I probably would have no need for the laptops. My next system upgrade will be a wireless printer (wifi print), that will probably make the laptops almost obsolete.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~