Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Marlin pistol grip to straight grip?

Banned

Marlin pistol grip to straight grip?

Can a pistol grip receiver be converted to straight grip by flattening the lower stock tang?

I would say "yes", but the easier way would be to (1) buy a straight buttstock, (2) buy a straight tang, (3) buy a straight lever. Check the parts houses.

Boolit Grand Master

Too much more to reshape factory. Replace parts or swap with someone

Agreed on buying the parts. Some take a hack saw an cut the tang but then it is not worth anything after than. Honestly, you would be better off to find a beater straight stock rifle and change out parts. If you are thinking a Model 336, most all parts interchange.

FWIW, I've done several via cutting, re-shaping the sides of the cut & refinishing the buttstock; grinding/filing the outside of the lower tang flat, polishing & re-bluing & then heating/re-shaping the curved lever.

No disrespect to any here, but the conversion's not for a beginner...……….. Why most shooters prefer to be parts-changers.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Great info from all, thanks. I'm going to get a set of parts.

I just got back into a machine shop again, running the CNC milling department. I'll look in to making some after I get a set in my hands. They are not common, but I found a set. I'm pretty sure the levers could be laser cut, then machined. We have 3 lasers, two will cut up to 3/4". Not sure of the effect as far as edge hardening on cutting 4140 with a laser, either. The trigger guard plate could be machined.

REMarlin should bring the Texan back. I don't care if it comes with Matte black steel and Birch stocks- bring it back for those of us who love straight grip lever actions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Just buy a gun with a straight grip and do what you want with it.

Boolit Bub
    I have a few laying around the house a 35 rem and a 450 marlin

Boolit Bub
    The 35 rem is rechambered to 35 lever power

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    REMarlin should bring the Texan back. I don't care if it comes with Matte black steel and Birch stocks- bring it back for those of us who love straight grip lever actions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Exactly! The 336 just doesn't look right with a pistol grip stock, it never has.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Exactly! The 336 just doesn't look right with a pistol grip stock, it never has.
    I must be weird, cause I really like and prefer them.

I actually like both, the Win 64 is beautiful. The Savage 99 looks "right" either way, too. In my opinion!

I'm one of those guys who can't handle pistol grip stock on lever guns. A couple years ago when Ohio
    got rifle deer season I was caught without much selection of legal rifles. In fact the only legal rifle I
    had was a old Marlin 1895. To me that's a cannon to hunt deer with. I traded up a 1894 in 44mg and
    a Marlin 375Win. The 375 had the pistol grip stock, and gun was mint NIB. I sighted gun in off bench
    and didn't pay that much attention to stock. 1st day of deer season I decided I didn't like the feel of
    it. Most of my deer are shot under 100yds and on the "jump". The pistol grip just wasn't a natural
    pointer for me. When I looked at what new parts would cost to convert to saddle stock I lost interest
    in the rifle and traded it for #3 Ruger/375Win. I just bought a Savage 99 in 250/3000, 1950s vintage
    and it's pistol grip. I wouldn't have bought it but I have been wanting a 99 in 250 because I use to
    have a 99 carbine - straight stock, and it was a quick pointing woods deer rifle. It's not mint but high
    condition. It doesn't feel as ackward as a Marlin or Win does with pistol grip, but still doesn't float like
    a straight stock. I think the pistol grips may be a little easier for most to use especially with scopes.
    Maybe Im nuts because pistol grips don't bother me on rifles other than levers. When I get a lever
    with pistol grip instead of spending money to convert it, I just look to swap for one with straight stock. All my stuff is older desirable models and parts switching is expensive and kills value of the
    rifle.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I don't mind pistol grips on rifles with button mags or half mags. They just look goofy on a full length mag, especially with a carbine barrel. I never had any interest in the Marlin 39 because, not only does it have a pistol grip stock but, it's friggin' huge and dwarfs the receiver! Now, the Marlin XLR series look great with pistol grip stocks.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.