RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Initial XD-m shakedown

Boolit Grand Master

Initial XD-m shakedown

Picked up the XDM 10mm with 5.25” barrel yesterday and loaded up a few loads to see how they shot. I’m using a HiTek Coated commercial boolit. 180gr TC and closely resembled the profile of the Lyman 401638 in the Lyman Cast Handbook #4. I loaded with Blue Dot and had a COAL of 1.250” velocity data was taken with Lab radar Doppler. The XDM performed flawlessly out of the box. My P220 also flawless. My G20 had 2 failures to extract. The empty casing was still slightly in the chamber and the next round was still in the magazine and looks like it was heading to stovepipe. I’m blaming the Frog Lube I put on there last time I cleaned it. Not a fan but received as a gift so I figured I’d give it a try. Note to self: I’m not a fan of the FrogLube.

Blue Dot
    9.4gr
    Avg Vel 1134 FPS
    ES 69
    SD 22.3

9.7gr
    Avg Vel 1174
    ES 78
    SD 20.3

10gr
    Avg Vel 1199
    ES 38
    SD 14.9

10.3gr
    Avg Vel 1234
    ES 41
    SD 13.7

The distance was 22 yards according to my Nikon Rangefinder. I used a rest but had my son along with me. It was his second trip to the range and he was quite excited and so I feel my groups could have been better if I wasn’t having to be mindful of him as well. He was using a Smith and Wesson MP 15/22 with a Vortex Strikefire. After I got it sighter in for 12 yards he was busting reactive targets and having a great time.

The 10gr Blue Dot Loads did well across the board with my P220 Hunter, G20 and XDM. If it wasn’t the most accurate it was a close runner up. Not surprising to see the ES and SD tighten up as my experience with this powder is it likes to be near full case capacity to shoot well so long as it’s not being compressed. Accuracy was in the 2 to 2-1/2” range for the good groups for 10 shot strings and 3 to 3-1/2” for the not so accurate loads. They seemed to all close in towards the 10gr loading and begin to open up at the 10.3gr load but was still decently accurate for a plinking 10mm load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3BA15E28-C712-4097-90E9-15C531FBC42A.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	229295
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 10-23-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Boolit Master

Nice! I have a can of Blue Dot but found the flash and recoil excessive in my .40 and 10mm. I now use 231 or Ramshot Silhouette.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River