Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: New AR camp/hiking/ATV carbine is coming together...

Boolit Master

New AR camp/hiking/ATV carbine is coming together...

I built a Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt as my camping/hiking/off-roading carbine earlier this year. Took a lot of work to get it to feed and function somewhat reliably. In the end, it was accurate and handy, but a bit of a pig at around 11lbs loaded with tac light and other necessary accessories.

Attachment 228997

And it would still occasionally jam when working the action.

So, I decided to go for an AR-based carbine. I needed a round that would be effective against the predators where I spent most of my time. I live a mile from the Idaho border and spend all my outdoor time in Idaho. Mostly in wolf and cougar country with plenty of black bear. Occasionally I am in Grizzly country, but that is deep in the woods near the Montana border.

Didn't think the .223 would be great, didn't like .300 Blackout, and didn't like reloading rifle rounds. Chose the .450 Bushmaster.

I already had two AR; a 90's Bushmaster I bought new before Y2K hit, and a Ruger AR556 bought before the Trump/Clinton election, just in case.

I planned to mate the Ruger lower to a .450 Bushmaster AR-Stoner upper from Midway I bought on sale for $399.

They fit perfectly and when at the range, performed flawlessly with three rounds going into a single hole at 25yds. However, I decided to get a dedicated lower for the build due to impending anti-gun legislation pending for WA and ordered a PSA lower with FDE Magpul furniture for $170. It arrived today.

I added a Nikon P223 3x scope, Magpul M-Lok forend, light attachment, sling point, and mounted my Surefire composite light. Had a heavy tacticool sling I put on to get a weight reading.

8.5lbs all kitted out. Still a bit heavy, but I will likely replace the scope with a reflex sight similar to the one on the Marlin for another half-pound of weight savings.

I still need to take it to the range and test my loads I am working on for it at 50yds, and then will give it one of my proprietary camo jobs, add a lighter sling, the lighter reflex sight, and then it should be good to go.

Attachment 228998
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Both look nice and good luck with your new protector. I know what you mean by weight. Constant battle with my rifles down range also.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Forgot about this thread...

It's all done and heading to the woods with me next week for some hiking/camping...

Attachment 229375
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Looks nice, got lots of time patrolling with similar setups.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'