Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mold for .380 cast bullet?

Boolit Master

Mold for .380 cast bullet?

Hello all, I've got a Ruger .380 I'd like to cast bullets for. I've used the Lee 356-102-1R mold, but that 1R round nose just doesn't fit into the lead of that little 380. I'm looking at the Lee 356-120-TC and from the photo with that Truncated Cone it looks like it would fit nicely. Comments? I'm also a bit concerned about the 120 grain for the .380 - I do plan to use this solely for paper punching with very light loads around 600 or so fps. Comments?

Thanks to all for any comments and suggestions - perhaps of other molds?

Ken H>

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had the NOE 358-88 .
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...189gs8kbqcci73

It worked fine in and LCP and G42 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Just cast the first batch from a NOE TC358-100 RF for my 380. It will be a while before I can get some loaded. I want to powder coat them first and will be out of town for the next 3 weekends. I'll post something when I can get some loaded.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In original model Ruger LCP we have standardized on Accurate 35-120H.

Heavier bullet with large meplat is reliable feeder, and deep penetrator.

Attachment 228407Attachment 228408
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

I will take Ranch Dog's design every time. Fantastic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35-098R-D.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	228410

Boolit Master

+1 jmort...Ranch Dog's TL358-100-RF

My 49/49/2 - Pb/WW/Sn allow drops at 104 grains and ~12 BHN for "vaporizing" results and a satisfying "ring" against hardened steel plow discs at 15 yards from a pair of Walther PPK. The 6-cav. aluminum mould just keeps on delivering in quantities too great to shoot at one range session!

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Lyman 358242 or the Ranch Dog.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    Before I had a dedicated .380 defensive pattern mold I loaded the Lee 358-105 SWC (sized .358) in .380 brass, seating the boolit so that about half of the front driving band was inside the case and half outside. Never found a pistol that refused to function with this boolit, absolutely reliable for feeding and chambering. This may not be your best option for defensive purposes but will not let you down for cycling. As an advantage Lee now offers this pattern in their 6X molds.

Boolit Master

I use mostly the lee 95 rf version of the ranchdog in my 380's but the wide meplant can be picky about oal, especially in my tcp. I do have and have loaded the lee 120 and it fed and shot flawlesly, but recoil was sharp with warm loads. Would work well for low velocity target loads however.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Moderator Emeritus

For general plinking/shooting in several .380s, a mould which produced working bullets for me is the Lyman 356-632, purportedly dropping 100 gr. RNFP bullets, which I put through the Lyman 450 lub-sizer using plain-Jane Lyman hollow lub sticks, with them pushed through using their #402 top punch. My alloy is 10 1lb ingots of COWW, to which I add one 1lb ingot of RotoMetals SuperHard. For the .380s, all semi-auto actions, this mould followed several with different nose configuration which proved not to provide 100% functioning. As stated, the L 356-632 (mine is a 2-cavity one) drops bullets which function well -- alllmost 100% -- in my pistols.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I haven't had a .380 in quite a while, but had several years ago and all these bullets worked well: RCBS 93 grain RN, Lyman 100 grain FN, and the SAECO 122 grain FN. I developed at least one accurate load with each bullet and, as I recall, the RCBS RN was probably the most accurate. Tried many powders; 231 generally best, but most accurate load was with the RCBS bullet and Bullseye powder. Wheelweight alloy was fine and bullets sized .356".

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all for comments - after posting last night I got "antsy" and placed the order for the Lee 356-120-TC mold. I'm still a bit concerned about the 120 grain bullet weight, but since I only plan for light paper punching loads maybe it'll be ok. I wish I had found the Lee 358-105-SWC mold to order - I like the 105 bullet weight better. and with the cheap $22 shipped price I might just order it anyway.

I really liked that NOE TC358-100 RF design and would LOVE to have one in brass, but at $101 plus shipping I guess I'll have to pass.... for now anyway.

Thanks again for all comments.

Ken H>

Banned

I do know of someone who has used the Ranch Dog bullet on two "man-sized" hogs. They dead. Not head shots either. Hope the 120 grain works out well for you.
    Too heavy for the case in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Too heavy for the case in my opinion.
    I agree it's heavier than I wished. I just tried to cancel the order and wanted to order the Lee 358-105-SWC mold for the lighter weight. I actually think something along the lines of 90 grains would be better for the little .380, but we'll see. All I plan for cast bullets is paper punching. For SD carry I use factory loads. I REALLY prefer my 9mm Glock 43 for SD ballistics, but that darn .380 just slides into my pocket so easy for concealed carry.

Thanks again for comments and sharing of knowledge.

Ken H>

Boolit Master
    Bullets of 120 grains work fine in the .380. Use an appropriate powder, like 231, and you can get decent velocity with such a bullet. The Lyman cast bullet book shows the same velocity for a 120 gr. bullet vs. a 102 gr. using 231 powder. A 90 gr. bullet, with the same powder, shows to be only a little faster than the heavy one.

Boolit Master
    Oh, velocity doesn't really matter as long as it will travel 10 yds in a straight line to punch a hole in paper. I'm sure 231 is a good powder but I don't have any. I've been using Unique for many years for light loads with good results from 45-70 to 38 spl loads.

I've had good results with 158 grain cast in 9mm for light loads. Actually seems to be less recoil than 120 grain bullets when both are loaded just enough to work the action.

Boolit Master

Other Powder choices:
    IMR Hi-Skor 700 X (IMR Pamphlet 2006, Speer Vol. 12)
    Hodgdon Clays (Hodgdon Pamphlet 2004)
    Hodgdon Universal (Hodgdon Pamphlet 2004)
    Unique (Hodgdon Pamphlet 2006, Speer Vol. 12)
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

On the powder note, hs-6 and the new cfe pistol are awsome for 380, especially at 100+ grains
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    The LEE 95 grain RF functions and shoots surprisingly well in my Ruger LCP, I really like the wide meplat it has.

Boolit Master
    The Ranch Dog 95gr RF works well in my OMC Backup and my brother's Taurus 238(?). 3.0gr. of WW231 and they function perfect and are pretty accurate as well. I PC them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast