MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Winchester 1886 hunting range?

Winchester 1886 hunting range?

I have an 1886 in 40-82. I know this cartridges was designed for long range elk hunting but what was "long range" in the 1800's? I would like to go hunting (if possible) this year for deer, bear, and moose. I read on old forum posts that people had no issues taking down a big Alaskan moose with the rifle. It was/is and express/flat shooting cartridge but im not sure at how far I can push it. I am also shooting with iron sights and my eyes arent great, so no 500 yard shots from me but it was still a question that I have been thinking about for awhile.
    I am reloading with 3031 under 1500 fps. I think it is around 1490 with a 260 grain flat nose wheel weight bullet.

You should be GTG for up to & around 250 yds.

Of course, the trajectory of your loads will have a good deal to say about that.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    i have a 86 in .40-82. the question is not how far can it kill it is how far can you shoot and hit with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    i have a 86 in .40-82. the question is not how far can it kill it is how far can you shoot and hit with it.
    I know, it all depends on my eyes. I was just wondering on the force of impact/killing power. Different game has different skin thickness and toughness. I dont think it would have trouble with a deer.

Boolit Buddy
    Kinda curious. I run a 265 grain at 2000 fps in a 94ae chambered in 45 colt. I always limited myself too 200 yards. I know my b.c. isn't as good.

Boolit Master
    I would say 300 yds it would be deadly on anything on 4 legs on the north American continent .

Vendor Sponsor

In your picture you show three empty cases on their side. Those are not 40-82 cases. (are they- perspective) What are you using for cases?? 40-65?
    40-82 cases can be made from Starline 45-90 cases if you need some.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    In your picture you show three empty cases on their side. Those are not 40-82 cases. (are they- perspective) What are you using for cases?? 40-65?
    40-82 cases can be made from Starline 45-90 cases if you need some.
    All of the cases there are 40-82. made from starline 45-90 cases from Buffalo Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I would say 300 yds it would be deadly on anything on 4 legs on the north American continent .
    If only I can get a clean kill shot on anything that far. I have a tang sight, but ****!

Whatever range you can put 3 shots from a field position in a hurry on a paper plate- that's your maximum range with that rifle. Good Hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Whatever range you can put 3 shots from a field position in a hurry on a paper plate- that's your maximum range with that rifle. Good Hunting!
    This is great advice. It would be my answer as well.

Do not know though about the cartridge capability is power wise for the longest range with a given load. This is simply ballistics question, though i would bet of the animals you quote that this range would be further then MY capability to cleanly harvest game humanely.

This is going to take time and effort on your part to discover YOUR longest range to take a hunting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Il try that.

A paper pie plate is better yet about5-6" diameter. That's how I find limit with irons to be around 100 years and quite a bit further with a scope. As stated your 40-82 should kill just fine to 250 yds if you can put them where it counts. It will drop akin to a rock at that distance!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    All of the cases there are 40-82. made from starline 45-90 cases from Buffalo Arms.
    Okay! In the picture they did not look like 2-4/10ths but clearly are.

I've done a lot of this hunting with an 1886.
    My advice on your maximum working range is, making a first shot at an unknown range past 150yds is a wounded critter. Here is why. When the drop exceeds 2 minutes for each 10 yards (or more!) guessing the yardage is a wound or a complete miss, which would be better. You sound plenty smart so I won't say anything more.

Enjoy and I wish you a GREAT hunt with that fine old rifle!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    I can put rounds into an 8" circle at will at 200 yards with my 40-82....... AFTER I turn my tang sight up 8 turns. I'm shooting a 270 grain bullet at about 1500 fps. The POI is about 20-24" low at 200, sighted in at 100. I've never shot any farther than 200 yards with mine. I'd sure as heck want to know how much more drop there is at 250 and 300 before I started taking pokes at critters at those ranges. As has already been said, what you can hit regularly in hunting situations at any distance is going to dictate the max range you can shoot. Be ready for the rainbow trajectory!!

What one can do on a shooting range and what one can do in the field are different things. Shooting ranges are known ranges. Unless you have a very good range finder and time to use it in the field you are guessing and these older cartridges drop like a rock after about 150 yards. The old buffalo runners were said to like 200 yards as they would be as apt to scare the herd, but they did a lot of shooting at buffalo to do that.

Mike Venturino mentioned on the 40's that they are relatively as powerful as the 42 mag revolvers. While he was talking about the 40-65 class and you have a little advantage with the 40-82, its something to think about.

DEP