Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 7.62x39 pulling bullets and using the case okay?

Bill_J

7.62x39 pulling bullets and using the case okay?

Hope I am okay posting this here.

Okay Im falling down the rabbit hole a bit here and considering this.... Hoping someone here might be able to find the flaw in my logic before I go too crazy.

I want to make a small run of 7.62x39 subsonics for my AK when I shoot suppressed.
    Had the idea of taking loaded steel case ammo, pulling the bullets (RCBS Collet). Then using Leatherheads 220gr 300 blk bullets (sized 0.310 could custom size bigger next order) I ran across this from detroit ammo

If its something that works, Ill make the switch to brass cases but wondering if I am okay just pulling them, figuring out a powder charge, seating and using a crimp die on the steel?

P.S. anyone have loading data for heavy 7.62x39 please share.

Boolit Master
    I use to pull down 7.62x54 all the time and reuse the steel case with Lead Boolits and shotgun powders .
    I saved the powder and Bullets to use in brass cases , or work up loads with other powders .
    The Berdan Primers , especially being old and questionably stored, not to mention mildly corrosive was the problem with the military surplus ammo .
    But they were consistent enough for cast boolit loads .
    The primer being IMO the Weak Link in the Steel Case, it may be harder for you to work up a consistent load .

Boolit Buddy
    Also, when you pull the bullet - the neck will open up. Going from jacketed to lead (larger diameter) might be ok.

Boolit Master
    You hit that one right on the head with the steel neck expanding .
    And the steel cases don't resize too well. Lots of spring back.
    Plus , I didn't want to wear out my sizing die, or have to buy a second one just for the steel cases.

I'm with Lags, I've done mexican match with both 7.62x54r and x39.

I still have 20 rounds on stripper clip for the Yugu SKS with Tuleammo steel case with Lee 185 gr gc cast.

Those I went with 20 gr of IMR 4895 to cycle the action.

I have done Red Dot but it won't cycle the action. I just turn the gas off, treat it like a Swiss Straight pull bolt.
    Works fine. Works great for keeping good brass cases where you can find them instead of lost in the grass.

Boolit Buddy
    i have done it. lots of work, worry about wearing out dies prematurely, and wasting the powder that came with the rounds you bought. better just to get some reloadable brass and go from there. i shoot cast 7.62x39 all the time, and don't think i've worn out a case yet.

Boolit Master
    A bag of brass is not that much, vs screwing with pulling and everything else. Have a 200gr and 174gr mold need to try in my SKS. maybe when I get the pile of other ammo that needs done whittled down to a reasonable level.