Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 sweet potato plants

12 sweet potato plants

Made all this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Very Nice..

The wife just did our second planting. Re-rooted the vines. We shall see.

I had a package of Butternut squash seed that came with some other stuff my wife bought. Planted about 6-8 hills. Gathered 44 squash from them last week.
    Got any good recipes besides Soup? We've eaten about 4 so far with a LOT left.

Boolit Grand Master

We do acorn squash like this. Cut in half and clean seeds out. 1/2 teaspoon butter and fill cavity with hamburger. a strip or 2 or bacon over top bake till squash is done at 350-400*.

Boolit Master

Wow, I'm jealous! Don't have the back for it anymore though....Baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato pie, sweet potato casserole, sweet potato turnovers, sweet potato soup, sweet potato fries, skillet fried leftover sweet potato slices in butter, sweet potato nut bread.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Looking good! I'm surprised supermarkets apparently don't know a sweet potato from a yam.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I got a lot of sweet potatoes this year also. while I was selling them at the Farmers Market someone asked me what the difference is between a sweet potato and a yam was. I didn't know and the best answer I found on line was that sweet potatos originated in Central America and the yam came here from Africa.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    That is awesome! We planted a few slips and once they started spreading, the deer found the green foliage and decimated them.

Boolit Master
    Thats a good harvest! We had a very good also from 12 plants. Last year was all vine and very few swt potatoes. Year before we were taking 5 gal buckets full to local food pantry.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Feel free to share recipes Hogtamer

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I had a package of Butternut squash seed that came with some other stuff my wife bought. Planted about 6-8 hills. Gathered 44 squash from them last week.
    Got any good recipes besides Soup? We've eaten about 4 so far with a LOT left.
    Cut in half, scoop seeds, place cut side down in a baking dish with 1/2 cup water and bake at 350 until soft, flip over, add 2-3 tablespoons butter and fill with brown sugar. Return to oven and bake until the brown sugar is caramelized to your liking. This goes really really well with roast pork!

Boolit Master
    We cook our sweet taters on a cake pan, in a convection oven at 450°, anywhere from 45 mins to 60 mins, depending on size, until soft. Don't poke holes in them.

Boolit Buddy
    Very good harvest, can you share on your planting on how you did this. I have planted before but did not get good results.

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet potato season here in NC at least the ones that the farmers didn't dig in advance of the hurricane. There are a number of fields that after they pick out the potato's let people bring buckets and pick up the left overs.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Sure. I made a berm and wrapped the sides of it in landscaping fabric (great stuff and cheap). Ths slips were planted about 18" apart. I put a handful of compost in each plant hole.

During the summer I side dressed them with compost a couple of times. We had to water a couple of times with a soaker hose. No real bug problems. I think that the berm is important for drainage and loose dirt gives the tubers room to grow.

The landscape fabric eliminates weeds on the berm. Works great for melon hills too and you can reuse it.

Boolit Master

wow nice now tell me how you keep the mice from destroying them first

No mouse problems yet. Letting them cure a few days before I put them in the basement. Hope the yard squirrels leave them alone.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Cut in half, scoop seeds, place cut side down in a baking dish with 1/2 cup water and bake at 350 until soft, flip over, add 2-3 tablespoons butter and fill with brown sugar. Return to oven and bake until the brown sugar is caramelized to your liking. This goes really really well with roast pork!
    We use maple syrup but we are from Vermont
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Very nice yield. I made the mistake of showing your photo to my wife so now I have to dig out an area to plant sweet taters next spring.

How long will they last in your basement?
    East Tennessee

This is our first year growing them so I'm not sure how they will keep in the basement. It stays 65 degrees down there and is very dry so I hope they will keep a long time. If the start going bad we will just start canning them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast