WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: New 30cal gc maker

New 30cal gc maker

I made a 30cal gc maker several years ago and made a huge pile of al gc's with it. A friend of mine asked to borrow it, no problem. Finely burned thru the gc's I had made up and asked for the gc maker back. Long story short I got a $100 bill back. No big deal, simply made another one. I like the 1 pull of the handle ='s 1 check gc makers.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The gc maker pictured above is the gc maker I made. It cuts clean round holes in the al strips.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sheer edge looks pretty good, it takes a 100 to 200 checks for it to wear in. Once it does the edges of the gc's will be smooth.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Time to make another pile of 30cal gc's.
    Last edited by Forrest r; 10-06-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Nice job on that.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Will you sometime in time ,will sell the tool?

Offers to buy are not allowed
    Last edited by Pressman; 10-07-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Well done sir, the one pull to cut and form is very nice. I will need to investigate this further and try to make one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I made a 30cal gc maker several years ago and made a huge pile of al gc's with it. A friend of mine asked to borrow it, no problem. Finely burned thru the gc's I had made up and asked for the gc maker back. Long story short I got a $100 bill back. No big deal, simply made another one. I like the 1 pull of the handle ='s 1 check gc makers.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The gc maker pictured above is the gc maker I made. It cuts clean round holes in the al strips.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sheer edge looks pretty good, it takes a 100 to 200 checks for it to wear in. Once it does the edges of the gc's will be smooth.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Time to make another pile of 30cal gc's.
    Don't mean to be rude but edges are not clean and "it won break in". If it doesn't cut clean from the first punch it won't happen later. This has to do with how close the fit of the punch and the body but good job on making one! Here is one I made for myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Are the rough edges a problem. The smooth edges look better but do the rough edges make the case a problem with accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by bstone5 View Post
    Are the rough edges a problem. The smooth edges look better but do the rough edges make the case a problem with accuracy.
    Rough edges have no affect on accuracy. These are the same checks pictured in the above post installed on bullets.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Not being rude at all.
    I've never had a problem with the shear edges "breaking in" on the gc makers I make. If they don't wear in on their own I take a look at them (wear marks) and touch them up. I make the gc cutting/forming tubes out of 01 drillrod & test them to make sure they work. Then I harden the drillrod. Doing so causes minor distortion/warping of the tube. I don't polish or true anything after the heat treatment. I just use them & they tend to cut cleaner after a little use.

Other things that affect the edges of the gc's is the size of the slit that the material goes in. Along with how far the strips of material go into the slit. If you look at my strips you will see that I'm barely on the edge of the strip with the holes. That ='s less support. Dimaprok strips are supported more/go deeper into the slit of the gc maker.

This is the difference between the 2 styles of gc makers.
    1 pull of the handle ='s 1 gc vs cut disk/pick disc up & form gc