Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Is E-bays messing with SEARCHES?

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Is E-bays messing with SEARCHES?

I have been looking for a rug that came with the Model 61 for about 6 mo. now.

All of a sudden I am getting way to many matches

Smith & Wesson rug: 17341 new matches today
    682 NEW: S&W Model 61

S&W Model 61: 1016 new matches today

Anyone else?
    Last edited by DCP; 10-06-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

eBay is always messing with searches, they cram all the big stores that pay a lot of fees at the top of results. So all you see is Chinese fake and junk!

Ebay cracks me up at times.
    I bought a williams receiver sight off there a couple weeks ago, good transaction.
    Now ebay is sending me notifications, we see you bought this and feel you will enjoy these more, 20 new notifications with sellers and stores selling the same sight I just bought!

My wife just bought a few books off there friday and she's getting the same notifications about the books this morning.

I think there desperate for buyers!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    I have been looking for a rug that came with the Model 61 for about 6 mo. now.

All of a sudden I am getting way to many matches

Smith & Wesson rug: 17341 new matches today
    682 NEW: S&W Model 61

S&W Model 61: 1016 new matches today

Anyone else?
    So I am not sure I follow you, Are there that many correct matches? or are they for something else??? In other words... IS ebay just getting anything in front of you hoping for you to impulse buy?

Yes, I have had trouble with their saved searches in that after I find and buy the item and delete the save, sometimes 6 months later I start getting emails on them again and I can't stop it because they arn't in my saved search list. ????
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    So I am not sure I follow you, Are there that many correct matches? or are they for something else??? In other words... IS ebay just getting anything in front of you hoping for you to impulse buy?

Yes, I have had trouble with their saved searches in that after I find and buy the item and delete the save, sometimes 6 months later I start getting emails on them again and I can't stop it because they arn't in my saved search list. ????
    It appears ebay is just getting anything in front of me hoping for me make a impulse buy.

I researched manually and it works correctly

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Ebay kills you with emails. You can elect to only get emails when you make a transaction, and that is what I did. They have marketing on steroids.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Little know factoid.
    Here is your problem: the way you are doing it, your search will turn up ANY ad with ANY of the words in your search terms. Put quotes around it and you get only what is EXACTLY being searched for. I did "Smith & Wesson Model 61" and came up with 13 hits.
    Try that.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    How are they different than any other internet function. I do a lot on eBay - buy andsell - and am always getting bombarded with the same things you talk about. Given that, I did a search recently using, IIRC, MSN search for an "Irish Tenor Banjo" as I am looking for one and remembered a site that had some fair prices. For a week after my initial search, I'd bring up other sites - non-related - and there would be pictures of Irish Tenor Banjos off to the side. They all get you coming and going and there is no privacy . . ..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Little know factoid.
    Here is your problem: the way you are doing it, your search will turn up ANY ad with ANY of the words in your search terms. Put quotes around it and you get only what is EXACTLY being searched for. I did "Smith & Wesson Model 61" and came up with 13 hits.
    Try that.
    Thanks but it didn't work

"S&W Model 61": 2236544 new matches today

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Thanks but it didn't work
    "S&W Model 61": 2236544 new matches today
    Well I just did it again: "S&W model 61" brought 2 items. "Smith and Wesson Model 61" brought 30 items.
    Are you SURE you are adding the quotes at BOTH the beginning and end?
    If not, then I don't know what to say.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I just tried it too...I get 13 results. Something doesn't seem right.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Well I just did it again: "S&W model 61" brought 2 items. "Smith and Wesson Model 61" brought 30 items.
    Are you SURE you are adding the quotes at BOTH the beginning and end?
    If not, then I don't know what to say.
    When I entered the search manually it works fine then. When I set up the Autosaved search with ("S&W Model 61": 2236544 new matches today) was copy and pasted 2,236,544. Thank you so much. I just dont know what ebay is doing

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

It must be in the autosave search. It may well be copying the search WITHOUT the quotes thus the ton of responses. Turn off the autosave search and try again.
    So let me understand: the quote thing worked for you?

Boolit Master

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've seen a lot of problems with their searches, things like looking for swim suits and they throw in oboes, car parts, ukeleles, and so on (i.e. things that have NONE of my search terms in the listing's title at all.) I think their search engine is powered by lunacy or something.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I've seen a lot of problems with their searches, things like looking for swim suits and they throw in oboes, car parts, ukeleles, and so on (i.e. things that have NONE of my search terms in the listing's title at all.) I think their search engine is powered by lunacy or something.
    White fonting is an unethical technique used by some sellers. It is the practice of inserting hidden keywords into the body of an electronic document, in order to influence the actions of a search program reviewing that document. The name white fonting comes from the practice of adding keywords to a webpage, using a white font on a white background, in an effort to hide the additional keywords from sight.

White fonting can also add unrelated, but often searched, keywords to a webpage in order to gain additional traffic.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    These are title searches only though - so it's a fleabay search engine issue not white fonting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Better than Amazon’s, which is apparently powered by LSD.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.