WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: midrange shooting position question

Boolit Buddy

midrange shooting position question

I notice that a lot of guys that shoot BPCR at mid to long range will sit and use cross sticks as rifle support. I'm in the process of drafting a new set of rules for shooting BPCR at my club's 600 yd range. Can you guys give my some more details on pros /cons of the sitting position ? Reason I ask this specific question is per our current rules only prone is allowed on the 600 yd line. I'd like to add a rule that sitting be allowed for BPCR.

Boolit Grand Master

Sitting with the sticks is a traditional position to hunters. In the field prone can only be used on flat level ground or a rise. brush or scrub may block shots. Sitting or kneeling behind the sticks gets over top of it.
    Another reason for the sitting is us old timers getting down to prone and into position is an issue, more so getting back up again. Sitting is easier for us.

Several ranges have been limited to prone only ( or bench) for safety reasons If this is your clubs reason then you may not be able to by pass it.

Boolit Master
    Sitting is definitely not an advantage, except for the guys who cannot do prone. This is why the NRA matches are not technically prone marches, but Any Position matches. You can shoot them standing up if you want. People call them prone because that's the position that almost everyone uses. Personally if I think even sitting with a stool is a pretty big disadvantage for most people when compared to prone. I think the only reason to choose it is if you can't shoot prone.

Sitting is a huge advantage over prone for comfort, and ease of felt recoil on your shoulder! Most guns with some recoil hurt more in prone where your body doesn't move to help absorb the recoil.
    But sitting with cross sticks is very traditional, and I haven't heard of any match where cross sticks aren't allowed to be used sitting?
    I prefer sitting with cross sticks and a short turkey seat. They're only about 8" legs, but for us old guys that little bit of elevation makes it much easier to get down and back up from sitting. I use Okanoggan SHooting Sticks with my turkey seat, and it's very comfortable, even with singles that are a bit heavier recoil.

Boolit Grand Master

When I was getting into position I used a bath stool. It was inexpensive and adjustable for height, and the big thing is it was very stable on the ground. I made some taller sticks and now stay in the wheel chair to save risks of falls.

Boolit Master
    Prone is for the young and agile folks; us more mature types are doing good to sit and shoot. We'll happily give up a bit of stability for the ability to keep on shootin'.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    Prone is for the young and agile folks; us more mature types are doing good to sit and shoot. We'll happily give up a bit of stability for the ability to keep on shootin'.
    I completely agree. It's important to keep people involved and the rules need to take this stuff into account.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Last year I could no longer shoot prone because of neck pain from holding my head so high for 30 minutes. I had to go to shooting sitting up with cross sticks. There is no advantage to shooting sitting up other than that it allows me to continue shooting long range. The disadvantage is that my scores went down about 10 percent. A shooter is just not as stable sitting up as he is prone.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
    I notice that a lot of guys that shoot BPCR at mid to long range will sit and use cross sticks as rifle support. I'm in the process of drafting a new set of rules for shooting BPCR at my club's 600 yd range. Can you guys give my some more details on pros /cons of the sitting position ? Reason I ask this specific question is per our current rules only prone is allowed on the 600 yd line. I'd like to add a rule that sitting be allowed for BPCR.
    If you go to the NRA completions web site you can see the rule books for black powder target rifle and see the description of the different positions allowed.
    Prone off of crossticks or a wrist rest makes for a steadier aim than sitting. Although if you get into a good sitting stance with the sticks at a comfortable height some very good groups can be fired at all distances.
    Very few bptr shooters shoot from sitting, but there are a couple of them that shoot extremely well.
    Here at the national match all but 3 or 4 shooters are either senior, over 62, or super senior, 72 and over, and the only time any of them shot sitting is in the position midrange match where it’s requireed to shoot the 300 yard target from sitting
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you guys for the feedback. I'll relay your feedback to our 600 yd committee and see where we end up. I had no problems shooting prone with my Sharps off my rest, however I definitely need to get the rifle about 3" higher for more comfortable overall sighting. I think I will build a set of sticks like you guys describe.

Boolit Buddy
    Personally, I like to sit and shoot off sticks. I can absorb the recoil by rocking back with it. Shooting prone is not too good on the shoulder/collarbone.