Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: powder coat groups

Boolit Buddy

powder coat groups

morning, just a quick note. i having been playing with powder coat on my boolits. ( purchased here from smoke) my groups from 2 .45-70 rifles are consistantly smaller with the powder coat than with lube. thats all. thanks irishtoo

Banned
    Great information.

We would love to see some pictures.

Boolit Master

What rifle and was bullets sized after PC?

Boolit Buddy
    Two ....ruger #3. And an h&r handi .45-70. Depeding on the mold they drop at .461. After pc they could be .463 and then sized to .460. The ruger so far groups the best
    Last edited by irishtoo; 10-06-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Banned
    You can't leave us hanging..
    What mold and weight were the boolits
    what color powder did you use
    What alloy did you use

Boolit Buddy
    im at work, when I get home ill pull the molds and add details.

In my G20, I get better groups with HT or PC than lubed. I have a mtch grade 1911/9 I want to ransom rest to see if there is any significant diff in accuracy. Just need the time.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

irish - no lube purges and bore is coated the same all the time. I usually get the first shot a tad low, not sure if it is the difference between day old bore condition (velocity variation) or the AR bolt drop vs cycle problem.
    Whatever!

My Henry 45-70 lever and my 22" Handi both love the Noe 460-405-RF powder coated with Eastwood powder (electrostatic) The Henry lever is one of my favorite rifles and pretty hard to beat for power. I have a couple of pics of destroyed bowling pins if I can figure out how to get them posted. My I-phone is fighting with me. LOL Gp

Boolit Buddy
    hi, sorry it took so long but work always gets in the way of the important stuff. ok, the molds are both NOE 460-315 drops at apox 318, 460-405 drops apox 410gr. the alloy is soft lead pipe to which i add 2% pewter(thrift shop finds) after pc they are pushed thru a lee sizer at .460. pc is not any more work than dip lubing and much less messy. the powder coat comes from smoke on this forum. the 315gr are colored jet black loaded over 15grs of unique. black boolit...black gun, a plastic hr handi .45-70 light rifle fairly light load. the 405 is clear loaded over 16gr unique shot thru a ruger #3. in both examples the groups tighten up. the ruger the most. i will say i have alot of molds many lee, a couple of lyman, a mihec, ideal, and several noe and the noe are my favorite. the mihec is a beautiful brass mold but heavy to use. it is a .462 and ill be playing with those soon, (flame red). ill be taking the ruger bear hunting in pa this year, or maybe a .54 flintlock. cant decide. with the pc im still learning. with this hobby there is always something new to learn or try. irishtoo

Boolit Buddy
    im a hunter and a informal target range shooter. my concern is always the first shot from a cold barrel, thats the one thats gonna count. two years ago i kept count and i shot 2000 rounds. flintlock, 20ga slugs, .45-70. all my reloads. i shot once at a deer, DRT. irishtoo

Banned
    Thanks for posting the information. ANy chance of pictures?

Boolit Buddy
    i will cast new boolits, lube half and pc half and take photos. but friday im leaving for pa early muzzleloader deer season so it will be awhile. and ill have to get my daughter to show me how to post photos. also on the targets ill write all the load info. irishtoo