Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Protec-X-Boolits

Banned

Protec-X-Boolits

I don't have any history on the zinc base boolit concept. These are in the collection, posting for your enjoyment.

This is a 38 caliber boolit, mold box, zinc washer box and the warning to clean the washers before casting. The washers have to be inserted into the mould and lead poured in. On the smaller boolits the washer is at the base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3500.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	228363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3502.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	228364

Name:	IMG_3504.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	228365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3506.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	228366
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3513.jpg  

Banned
    A 44 caliber boolit with the washer in the middle and some of the several ways the mould s were marked. I have another that does not have Harvey marked, just the numbers. All were made by Lyman.

Name:	IMG_3515.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	228370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3516.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	228371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3517.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	228372

Boolit Master
    That is interesting, never heard of those before. Thanks for sharing!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Man
    I posted a question about the 429510 mold a while back, several members responded that they were designed to be a half jacket that was presses on later. Does the washer fit in the mold also?

Banned
    wjham77, I cannot answer your question, that is the one mould that I don't have.
    If it does not have the ring slot then I would say no.
    I am not familiar with Lyman making blocks to cast half jacket cores either.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    My mold has a ring slot, but also have a die to swage washers on but does not use a half jacket
    I used molds for 50 rounds did not see a great benefit so molds been in drawer at least 54 years. The swaged half jackets were all we had when I started shooting 357 they shot well.

Boolit Master
    Harvey was an interesting guy. He also created the .224 Kay-chuck. Which is just a K-hornet shortened .050 to fit in a K-frame S&W cylinder. I had one, and with any normalish loads it was a fire breather, loud and giant fireballs, but no real recoil... interesting to shoot at an indoor range for sure. It was apparently what prompted S&W into making the model 53, but the Kay-chuck never had the case setback problems of the jet, because Harvey had been smart enough to use the blown out version of the hornet, or at least, that's how the story goes.

H&G made at least a few molds for Harvey as well. I don't have any in my collection, but I've seen at least 2 at auction in the last decade. Hawk still makes the zinc washers if anyone wanted to try them. The concept was to act similarly to a gas check, and "scrape" the leading out of the bore while "laying down a lubricating layer of zinc". I've never tried them.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Man
    Its really interesting to learn about how this stuff was developed. Im one of those people that needs to figure out how something worked or at least the basic concept. I appreciate the info given, so Preacher Jim is yours numbered 429510? And/or look like the pic pressman posted as 429510?

Boolit Buddy
    No.429510 was one of a series produced by Lyman in the late 1950s to Jim Harvey's design of what was known as the "Harvey Jugular", designed to be swaged - by means of special tooling available from Harvey - into a jacket.

429510 - 190gr.
    357511 - 107gr.
    357512 - 130gr.
    429513 - 150gr.

A bit more info on the Harvey Jugular can be found here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...zine-May-1956)

Jim

Banned
    Thanks Jim, I had not heard of them before. Now I need to search the collection to see if I have one.
    Ken

Banned

Pressman.......you wouldn't have some of these bullets I could try out? 38 or 44 caliber....doesn't matter!

Banned
    Sorry, I don't have any. I am not set up for casting at this time.

Banned

Would you want to sell a mould and zinc washers?

Boolit Master
    Ken, didn’t I give you a bunch of old Lakeville Arms literature at the last Denver Gun Show? IIRC, it had a lot of that Prot-X-Bore and Jugular stuff in there.

Boolit Buddy
    A few years back I sold on S/S a few 100 of the zink washers I'd gotten in cleaning out an old gun shop. Funny the things that can get hidden in the back of shelves etc.
    Shaune509

Banned

Pressman.......would you want to sell a mould and some zinc washers?

Banned
    Smithnframe, making offers to buy in the open forum is a violation of the rules and will get you an infraction. Please don't do it.

Banned

PM sent Pressman.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember buying the boolits with zinc washer already attached and the Lyman moulds and washers so you could make your own .
    They were cheaper than jacketed but could be driven faster than plain based ... being young we liked shooting magnums so loaded and several boxes of the things ... and they did help with leading . They just seemed to fade away...gas checks worked with a lot less casting effort, getting the hot washers into a hot mould and casting them in place was a pain in the you know .
    With the latest trend of zinc wheel weights I was expecting to see some kind of revival in the concept... maybe a mould to cast the washer base ... but so far no revival .
    There must be something we could do with the zinkers we get ... I'm just not smart enough to figure out what !
    Thanks for posting the Protec-X-Bore Boolits and moulds it been at least 45 years since I last loaded and shot any !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"