Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recycled Melted Bullet Alloy

Boolit Master

I've read in several places that you should try to keep your tin content less than or equal to your antimony content. Although it saves $$ there is also a metallurgical reason that I can't recall at present.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've read in several places that you should try to keep your tin content less than or equal to your antimony content. Although it saves $$ there is also a metallurgical reason that I can't recall at present.
    I got a headache reading it, but Glen Fryxell's "From Ingot to Target" describes that tin and antimony in equal amounts combine to form an "intermetallic compound", the effect of which is to allow greater amounts of each metal to be dissolved into the alloy, and which also changes the structure and therefore the properties of the solid alloy, including characteristics like hardness and brittleness.

1/2 or 1/4, depending on what you need. 50/50 Sb/Sn is eutectic, lowest solidus temp for Sb/Sn combination. Some like it, I don't need it. Adding tin doesn't hurt anything as long as it is NOT > Sb, just costs more. It does help casting with purer alloys where high expansion at low fps is required.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12