Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Do we have anyone powdercoating for a submachinegun?

Boolit Bub

Do we have anyone powdercoating for a submachinegun?

I've been casting for some time, but I've only powdercoated my wadcutters. Had a few kids since my last casting session (it's been a while) and I was hoping we'd see some RN slick side molds specifically for powdercoating, but it certainly doesn't seem like it. So, I guess I'll use my Lee 125gr RN mold. Are there any issues with heat on a full auto sub gun that might negatively affect a powdercoated projectile? I wouldn't think so, but I figured I should ask before I cast a ton of them. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    NOE and Accurate both stock slick sided molds. I believe NOE calls them HTC molds and both sites have design pictures with measurements. As to the other thoughts I have never powder coated but have done a lot of research on the subject. There have been some that have seen a smear or coating left in part of the chamber or leade from highly heated barrels but it has mostly scrubbed out during normal cleaning. Im sure someone with a little more experience will come along and add their personal experiences. I really cant foresee any issues but I admittedly could be wrong.

Boolit Bub
    Okay, that's good. I did speak with Accurate, unfortunately his tooling does not allow for RN bullets. He has to leave the head flat, which will not cycle in my SMG, unfortunately. I know Lee does custom molds, and I should talk with NOE. All I want is a 147gr RN bullet, sounds pretty simple!

Boolit Master

mihec does them as well. I think "fishforbugs" shoots full auto, don't know what he uses.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Slick side molds offer no advantage for powder coating. Any regular bullet can be PC'd to the same effect. I have the NOE 35g 135 HTC and never use it because I've never found it to be very accurate.

Boolit Master
    Yes. I've been PC'ing for SMG's in .45, 9mm and .380. Heat has proven no problem in any of them including back-to-back-to-back mag dumps.

I like the PC for lower smoke than conventionally lubed bullets, and I shoot them through cans regularly and find they leave less lead residue.

The benefit of slick sided molds for PC is the reduced OAL for the same weight. I've got a Lyman 356637 147gn 9mm mold, and a 9mm 147 slick side from Mihec, besides being 8 cavities vs 4, the Mihec has the advantage of producing a bullet that is significantly shorter for the same weight.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Bub
    That's great to hear. The smoke is my primary concern. Dump a mag of cast bullets at an indoor range on full auto and it will clear everyone out. I did that with my grease gun and never wanted to again. Thanks for the info!

Will it shoot hollow points?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Will it shoot hollow points?
    I've never been able to get my Colt SMG to shoot hollow points reliably. Some Colt SMG's will fire anything. My YHM 9mm upper, unfortunately, will not. The Uzi has no problem with it, but I'd like to just get a mold that works for everything, and load a bucket full and call it a day.

Boolit Man
    I shoot a ton of powder coated lead through my HK sear guns (mp5 clone and hk53 300blk) with suppressors and no issues. I was initially worries about mag dumps and resulting heat remelting the powder coating but no problems so far.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by hlvabeach View Post
    I shoot a ton of powder coated lead through my HK sear guns (mp5 clone and hk53 300blk) with suppressors and no issues. I was initially worries about mag dumps and resulting heat remelting the powder coating but no problems so far.

I recently cast a bunch of MP molds, 147gn round nose using 8 cavity mold and worked awesome. They recently closed this run, but he sometimes has extras.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I remember seeing a video on YouTube, where someone took a torch to a powder coated boolit. The lead inside appeared to melt before the powder coating. Also, maybe not all PC can take the same temperatures.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I remember seeing a video on YouTube, where someone took a torch to a powder coated boolit. The lead inside appeared to melt before the powder coating. Also, maybe not all PC can take the same temperatures.
    Not surprised. When I re-melt PC boolits in my pot, the lead melts and the "shell" of the PC floats on the top. Soft and collapsed, but intact. It is easy to scoop them off the top..

Banned
    I have been doing lead swaging for a while now...no jackets just squishing lead. So far only for 22lr. However it would be even easier with 9mm. I would suggest running your boolits AFTER Powder Coating through a sizing die rig with a top punch. I believe there are several people here doing that already.
    When you size or swage after powder coating, you get a very consistent sized and slippery boolit. Especially with Smoke's Clear PC.
    It may be a little labor intensive for you considering the rate that you will consume boolits. But I thought I would throw it out there.
    One of my upcoming projects will be to make a die specifically for swaging 9mm "full form" die. With the option of changing base punches to any config one would desire. However at the rate things are going it may be up to a year before I get to it.