WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copperheads

Boolit Grand Master

Copperheads

For some reason our neighborhood has become infested with Copperheads. Several neighbors have had them in their garages. I guess I stepped on a small one when I came in last night as my Wife found him dead in our garage this morning. Its a puzzle, as we don't have the typical terrain for Copperheads. They are a pretty snake.

Boolit Master
    Won't think pretty if one gets his fangs into you! They doing any construction nearby, could be pushing them to new territory. Personally, they are one of 2 snakes I kill on sight, they don't have the manners of a rattler, no warning!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    are you shore they are copper heads and not the harmless milk snake ? they do look alike and many are killed for copper heads.

Boolit Master

Local guy had a toe amputated after being bit by a 8" baby when he was wearing sandals. If they are crawling they are big enough to hurt ya.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Why God gave us shotguns.

Boolit Master
    Copperheads come into this world with a bad attitude. We have them around here, I don't walk in the yard after dark without a light.

Some people don't want snakes killed, guess they don't have to look at the doorstep before stepping out in the mourning.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    are you shore they are copper heads and not the harmless milk snake ? they do look alike and many are killed for copper heads.
    Yeah, he had the elliptical pupil of a pit viper. No, no construction around here. Its all farm land. I have Soy Beans 100 feet from my back door. The only thing different is that the end of Summer going into Fall has been wetter than normal. I've found the Copperhead to be the mildest tempered poisonous snake there is. Now, the Cottonmouth is born with an attitude and it get worse with age!

This is a decent neighborhood where everyone keeps their yard nice. No tall grass or weeds. No junk laying around. A long ways from any standing timber. Who knows? I guess the snake does!

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Copperhead a way of life here I kill one almost every time I mow my valley. You do not want to be bitten by any size copperhead and young one almost worst than adults.

Moderator Emeritus

Saw my first copperhead since moving here almost two years ago about a month or so ago. Was right at my side door. Never saw him but dog was barking at it. Luckily I wear my duck boots if just going out in yard. We have had a lot of rain and I think that is what is driving them down my mountain.

Boolit Master
    Snakes go where they smell food or are searching for a mate. If they are hanging around I would think that there must be a source of mice or rats around.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Moved from Michigan to rural Arkansas, almost seven years, now. Only came across one copperhead on my 26 acres......that was while I was walking the dog. Coiled up in a area I mow short, where she does her business. I'm constantly looking out for them, as they are the most common venomous snakes, hearabouts. Most of the snakes I come across are the harmless black rat snakes. I did inadvertently dispatch a small rattler, pygmy or timber, while weed wacking.

Winelover

Banned

im thankful for cold snowy winters!!! About the worse we have here is non poisonus water snakes. We call the water moccasions but there not the same as the ones down south. they are about as ornery though. but even they are rare. I might see one garner snake a year. that's about the extent of the snakes up here. A few rattlers down state but there pretty rare. Wana see and old tough man act like a girl. Put a poisonous snake in front of me. Im in the camp that the only good snake of any kind is a dead one. Even God thought they were evil.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We don't have 'em in Michigan but I have visited a cousin many times where they do have them. As they say there . . . "the only good 'un is a dead 'un". Where we are here in AZ now for the winter, we do have the rattlers - many species. It's warm out and I'm constantly on the look out for 'em when I walk the dogs - doesn't matter if it is day or after dark - the dogs have had "rattlesnake aversion training" but I still worry. Do they do "Copperhead aversion training" for dogs in areas where the Copperheads are found?

Banned

just have them train you to stay in Michigan. Dogs love snow!

Boolit Grand Master
    have timber rattlers in western Maryland. couple at our cabin there. late summer maintenance trip we found a skin shed on our steps that must be 6 feet long.

Boolit Master
    The snow snakes we have around here are the only ones i want to see.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    No venomous snakes on WA's west side; Western rattlesnakes on the east side. On a search once I was walking up a steep ridge quietly, in scab rock country, to see what was around (and glass the area once I got up top) - Looked up and there was about a 6-7 foot Garter Snake (or similar, I didn't grab it to examine it!) sunning itself there - I let it depart, didn't really want to get gnawed on. Then went on up the ridge. Lots of times we'd just look from road overwatches but this area didn't have enough of those; Rough climb, one of the harder ones I was on - Only carried binoculars and water as I'm not THAT dumb, plus the radio.

I've seen around two in 60 years on our farm and about two hundred velvet tail rattlers. I haven't seen a Cottonmouth in 30 years and I'm ok with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Was talking with the UPS driver yesterday who commented he has never seen as many snakes as this year. Mostly rattlers and a few copper heads on folks porches and steps.

Boolit Master

Our Massagia rattle snake is small and rare here in mi and no human has ever died from their bite but to dogs they are deadly, a family friend who had the best pack of rabbit beagles I’ve ever seen lost all of them to snake bite; two had gotten in the dog kennel; in the dog house in said kennel and bit each dog multiple times. My younger brother some years ago got hit by a MI rattler while squirrel hunting in out favorite spot. It barely broke the skin and he said it felt like a hornet sting and mild nausea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast