Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arisaka rifle project

Boolit Master

The safety is a round cap. The bolt assembly comes apart by rotating the round safety. I am pretty sure it is a model 38.
    I don't know how the metal was originally finished but there appears to be no blueing. I think it may have had some type of coating, but not blueing.
    After I soaked the action in solvent I was able to unscrew the barrel by hand.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure if this will help but here's a link to some information that will identify your Arisaka. A simple way to tell if it's a model 38 or 99 is to count the number of vent holes in the top of the breach,a 38 has two while a 99 has one. I've two 99's and have been lusting for a 38 just because. http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
    Good luck with it and pictures would help to identify what you have. I'd be careful if the barrel comes off the action that easily, something isn't right. They usually need a lot of grunt work in a vice to move.

Boolit Master
    Post info and pictures of the rifle on the Japanese forum on GunBoards for help with what you have.The lack of markings bothers me.

Boolit Master

some pictures, also a single vent hole so it may be a model 99
    Attachment 228593Attachment 228594Attachment 228595Attachment 228596

That's definitely NOT how my barrel came out! You may well have a blank firing trainer there. Post #23 has a point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'm with Ken and Texas on this one, a whole isn't adding up on this rifle. The barrel shouldn't do that and it certainly should have the serial number on the left side, with a series mark in front of that and the arsenal mark on the other end as Texas said. Be VERY cautious, the blank-firing only trainers are thought by many to be what gave these rifles a reputation for being weak, unsafe actions when an unsuspecting GI would load a cartridge in one and fire it. They are cast receivers (the training/school rifles) that were never made to fire live rounds. I have read some sources that state they had a two piece barrel on the trainer. The safety looks like an early production, non "last-ditch" style, but that could also fit a trainer. The quickest test I know is to first check the barrel for rifling, the trainers arent supposed to have any. Then, if this all does turn out that it is a legitimate rifle, you'll need to get that barrel properly torqued before you try and use it.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    Also... can't see from your photos but the bolt on a trainer doesn't have front locking lugs, just two in the rear. You can't fit a rifle bolt into a trainer but you can fit a trainer into a rifle (BAD IDEA). The trainers often had a set screw under the action that held the barrel in, cant tell if it's there from the photos either. And, I dont believe that barrel looks right, like it threads into a receiver extension, on a regular (battle) rifle that is all once piece that comes out together I believe. The trainers have been known to have lose barrels in them as well, and may have very slow turn rifling or straight rifling as well. SO, 3 questions, does the bolt have front locking lugs, does it have a setscrew under the receiver, and lastly does it have rifling? Oh and what is the bore diameter to know if it is a type 99, which it appears to be by the single gas vent hole.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

SO, 3 questions, does the bolt have front locking lugs, does it have a setscrew under the receiver, and lastly does it have rifling? Oh and what is the bore diameter to know if it is a type 99, which it appears to be by the single gas vent hole.
    1. yes, two front locking lugs
    2. No set-screw under the receiver
    3. it does appear to have rifling, although I am still working on getting the barrel cleaned out.

I'd be careful if the barrel comes off the action that easily, something isn't right. They usually need a lot of grunt work in a vice to move.
    I agree, something is NOT right about the way the barrel came lose.
    thanks guys....its a learning curve !

Boolit Master
    That vent hole looks like it is off center to the left which is different from my two 99's but matches or is close to where one of the vent holes is located on a model 38. The bolt doesn't have any serial numbers on the top of the handle either but I'm not familiar with serial number placement on a model 38. From the way the barrel attaches I'm going to say it's a trainer.

Boolit Master

OK,
    the only number stamped is 37 which is found on the bottom of the bolt handle, on the round "safety", and on the receiver.
    there is also a cartouche stamped on both the bottom of the bolt handle, and on the round "safety" at the back of the bolt. This cartouche is very hard to make out and I could not match it with any of the markings per http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

The barrel does not appear to have any rifling.
    The top of the receiver does not appear to have had the symbol ground off. No grinding marks are present.

I think the general consensus that this is a training rifle is correct.
    Either that or it is a rare firearm, worth millions ...in which case I will be selling it and retiring!

Question: what would you do with this antique?

Super Moderator

Hang it on the wall is what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Hang it on the wall is what I'd do.
    Same here. A box of original Japanese blanks probably cost more than the gun.
    Object D'art!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/WaznkI2yF7s

real vs trainer details

Banned

I bought a 7.7 in a bar back in the 70s for 10 bucks. It was about like new and the ugliest gun id ever seen. there was a poor old ex logger that lived out by our camp in a one room cabin and killed everything with a 12 guage single shot and #6 shot. for deer he made cut shot out of them. I gave him the gun and the 5 boxes of shells the guy who sold it to me threw in. Youd have thought I gave the old bugger a brick of gold when he saw it. Im sure no expert on them. I shot exactly one shell through it to hear it go bang.

Boolit Master

eric,
    that link you provided was VERY useful...thanks
    I do believe I have a training rifle

Boolit Grand Master
    i'd learn what history is available on jap trainers, hang the gun on the wall, and amaze your friends with well told historical stories. of course, selling it for millions has a certain panache, too.

Boolit Bub
    Interesting but a nice wall hanger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12