MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Value of a Springfield 1898 In 30-40 Krag

Value of a Springfield 1898 In 30-40 Krag

So one of the auction fliers going around town is showing a Springfield mod. 1898 in 30-40 Krag. Looking to see what round about prices are on them so I know when to stop raising my hand ! I have no idea about condition or serial range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

without knowing the particulars, no one can begin to estimate a value.

Boolit Master
    rifle? carbine ? altered ? unaltered ?

Boolit Master

All depends upon overall condition...both mechanical and cosmetic...and what the auctioneer can wring out of his audience. I've seen a couple of really nice looking '98 rifles with 'sewer pipe' bores tagged with asking prices well over $1K but I also know where there's really fine 1899 with a shiny bore (and correct bayonet!) that can be had for $1400. My '98 carbine appears to be an NRA 'sporter' from the early 1920s...Lyman tells me its M48 rear sight was made between 1919 and 1922...and, five or six years ago, I snagged it off a consignment auction for a couple hundred bucks. Needed a bit of stock repair, a thorough cleaning, and a couple of replacement screws but it cleaned up to what I'd call 'Good+'.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I once had a Krag Bannerman sporter with cut down barrel and stock, formerly an 1896 rifle which had the military rear sight removed and a Redfield peep sight installed. It shot OK, but after I found a pristine Winchester 54 .30 Gov't '06 sporter with long slide Lyman 48 it went away. When I sold it ten years ago Igot $200 for it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Full length unaltered infantry rifle? $300 for a scuzzy rusty dented cracked one, with a sewer pipe bore. $1500 or more for a beautiful minty one with a nice bore. Anything in between, vote (bid) your conscience. Cavalry carbine (a real one, not faked- do your homework)- a lot more, up to double that. A sporterized one hammered out by Bubba in his basement circa 1934? You're on your own, but I wouldn't pay over a couple hundred, and then only if it has a nice shootable bore. A quality conversion by a pre-war premo builder (Griffin&Howe quality)? Bring your paycheck along to the auction.

I think I have a picture of it outside looks fair from the picture, but they take the best picture possible to I’m sure one of y’all have seen something similar sell but prices on the net seemed to be all over the place and I probably won’t get a hands on look at it before hand. Should be one in the center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk