Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retailer for samples

Retailer for samples

I have a 1963 Remington 700 30-06 with a (factory) 20" barrel that I retired several years ago. A joy to carry, but man recovering from the recoil would take days and shooting it just wasn't fun. Nostalgia has me wanting to take it for another spin before I quit hunting. So, rather than go the reduced recoil route with J word pills, I want to try cast.

I reload but do not cast and, for now anyway, don't want to cast. Maybe later thanks.

I like some info on where I could buy some boolits suitable for deer and possibly hogs. Because I have no idea what size my rifle would like, its old and who knows how many rds it has fired, I would like to learn of a supplier who could furnish me a size assortment. Or, obviously, if any of you could accommodate me, I would be most appreciative. My plan would be to make up some dummy rounds, see if they fit and go from there. Sound ok?

Thanks for any interest.

Boolit Master
    I think it's a good plan . You could post asking members to sell you a small sample of a few different stile boolits to try out . Start out simple

Banned
    I would suggest slugging/pound casting the chamber (or at least slugging the bore) before you get started to have an idea what size food it will like

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I would suggest slugging/pound casting the chamber (or at least slugging the bore) before you get started to have an idea what size food it will like
    Hmmm, ok. I might have a round ball here that may work for that.
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

No round ball small enough located. What else could could be used?
    Sorry for all the questions. No gunsmith anywhere near close.
    I measured the inside neck of a fired piece of brass at .3105. Does that mean anything?
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

Split shot sinkers might do it. Not certain what size they are though.

Boolit Master
    Find a drill bit that is slightly larger than the major circumference of your bore. Find a narrow strip of scrap half-inch plywood (or scrap lumber). Drill a few holes through the wood. Clamp the drilled wood to a flat piece of iron/steel. Melt some [U]pure[U] lead and pour it in the holes. Break the wood away and you have a "slug". Have fun!!!
    R.D.M.

Hah. A wood mould, who would have thunk it!! I can do that.
    I don't know what I can do about the pure lead though. Would melting some muzzleloader boolits work or would they be too hard?
    Next is to find something to melt in, one of my wife's small cast iron pots when she in not looking?

Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Muzzle loader boolits are generally pure lead or so close as not to matter.
    As far as melting the lead, any small metal pan will work, even aluminum. Just don't get the sides real hot above the level of the lead. Aluminum melts around 1600 degrees F. With Iron or steel you don't have that worry.
    If you do use one of the wife's pots, don't ever use it for food prep again.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Muzzle loader boolits are generally pure lead or so close as not to matter.
    As far as melting the lead, any small metal pan will work, even aluminum. Just don't get the sides real hot above the level of the lead. Aluminum melts around 1600 degrees F. With Iron or steel you don't have that worry.
    If you do use one of the wife's pots, don't ever use it for food prep again.
    Good to know. Thanks.
    My wife's stuff is safe. All the cast iron is too big and she would miss one. The small aluminum (read cheap) one I had my eye on is Teflon coated, so that's out. It may be Dollar store time.
    Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mjac View Post
    No round ball small enough located. What else could could be used?
    Sorry for all the questions. No gunsmith anywhere near close.
    I measured the inside neck of a fired piece of brass at .3105. Does that mean anything?
    Bell type fishing sinkers , also refered to as bass casting sinkers , they have a tear drop or bell shape.
    The small pointy end has a small brass eyelet for the line and may swivel.
    I went to fishing department and bought an assortment of the larger bell sinkers that would fit 30 , 35 and 45 bores . I don't remember what weight bell sinker fit the 30 cal. best , sorry .
    You can clip off the brass swivel , center the pointy end into the muzzel and gently tap the big end using a short rod and light hammer. Don't hammer directly on the bell sinker the mallet will distort it. Hammer on a rod just under the bore's diameter. Make sure to drive sinker in straight...if cocked, remove , use a new sinker and get it going straight. The pointy end helps to get things going.
    Buy several of the right size and slug the bore three times to ensure proper readings. You might mess up a couple untill you get the hang on slugging .

I found the bell sinkers easier to use than a round ball and the local Academy , Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops all had lots of sinkers in different sizes.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-06-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Bell type fishing sinkers , also refered to as bass casting sinkers , they have a tear drop or bell shape.
    The small pointy end has a small brass eyelet for the line and may swivel.
    I went to fishing department and bought an assortment of the larger bell sinkers that would fit 30 , 35 and 45 bores . I don't remember what weight bell sinker fit the 30 cal. best , sorry .
    You can clip off the brass swivel , center the pointy end into the muzzel and gently tap the big end using a short rod and light hammer. Don't hammer directly on the bell sinker the mallet will distort it. Hammer on a rod just under the bore's diameter. Make sure to drive sinker in straight...if cocked, remove , use a new sinker and get it going straight. The pointy end helps to get things going.
    Buy several of the right size and slug the bore three times to ensure proper readings. You might mess up a couple untill you get the hang on slugging .

I found the bell sinkers easier to use than a round ball and the local Academy , Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops all had lots of sinkers in different sizes.
    Gary
    I happened to get by a W store yesterday evening looking for something to melt in and wandered over to the fishing dept, such that it is. There I found egg sinkers. The #10 size was way to small for 30 cal and the #9 at .351 is too large, me thinks.
    I did not notice any bell sinkers but will certainly look for them the next trip into town. Thanks for the tip.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

I am still looking for a pot and now bell sinkers. I'll try whichever I get first

As an aside, two members have very kindly offered me boolits to try. I don't know what the protocol is here for mentioning members names but nevertheless I am grateful for their offers. Thank you.

That good old Remington 700 will probably slug right around .308" so I would try .309" first. You can beat a single 00 buck pellet into the barrel with a plastic mallet, then push the newly punched out slug thru the bore with a non marring rod.
    Voila- your barrel is slugged.
    Those old 20" 700s are handy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Excellent. I have some 00 buck. Thanks.

In Remembrance

Remember to first run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel for a little bit easier passage of the lead. An over sized lead slug sitting on the muzzle is what you want so you beat it into the barrel with a wood block or a plastic mallet. You want to force the lead into the barrel to get a real idea of the size. DO NOT USE A WOOD DOWEL to push the slug thru the barrel, they can break and wedge tight in the barrel!Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    DO NOT USE A WOOD DOWEL to push the slug thru the barrel, they can break and wedge tight in the barrel!Robert
    Well shoot. That sure brings things to a halt.
    A wood dowel was the plan but no more. The best I can do around here is threaded rod. Maybe Amazon?

Vendor Sponsor

Lowes/Home Depot ….get a 36" brass rod for less than $10.00
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Lowes/Home Depot ….get a 36" brass rod for less than $10.00
    I wish. I have one of each 40 miles north and 30 miles south of me. Neither have brass. The closer HD has steel and aluminum. Thanks anyway. Go with steel and wrap with electrical tape?
    Amazon is 20.00 brass delivered.

Boolit Master

It doesn't take much for a steel rod to damage the bore, if you end up tapping a little too hard and it cuts through the tape. I'd be super careful with that. If it were me, I'd just try some powder coated, gas checked, .309" boolits and see how they shoot. If they're accurate and don't lead, there you go.

I know that goes against the rules of slugging a barrel first to set up for cast, but in your case it might just be the practical way to go.

Boolit Master
    I have just begun shooting cast in my long guns so I am not a expert by any means , but so far I have went with if it fits in a case fired in the particular rifle before resizing the case you can shoot that size Boolit . But please correct me if I am mistaken .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast