Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Wrong category

Boolit Master

Wrong category

Have had this question out there for a few days with no response and after looking I think I put it in the wrong category.

The Lyman 358315 a 200 / 205 gn.round nose. Would anyone have any idea what the ballistic coefficient might be?
    In many ways, shape, size and form it appears to be the equal to the Hornaday 200 R.N and I wonder if the same BC can be used.
    Thanks
    Facta non verba

I would say it would be close. Probably close enough for hunting shots out to 200 yards.
    You would need to test it and see.

Boolit Grand Master

Get chronograph reading at 2 different ranges ( preferably the same shot or 5 shot averages). The new Lab radar chronograph makes this easy to do. 10 feet and 200 yds will give good results here, longer is even better. There are programs on the internet that with the right info will figure the actual BC for you. With the bc they will print out a shot pot page of zeros for different ranges very accurately.
    To get actual sight settings make a tall target with the aiming point at the bottom, your chart of zeros and ow high it is at your range shoot and adjust up to that measurement.

Boolit Master
    I think the Rem bullet BC would suffice for your needs. Use the info from that bullet and fire your loads at a few distances, then you can work it out to your satisfaction.

Also used the Sierra charts to get a zero at 50 yds, the shortest range they had in the chart. Once on at 50 I used the rear sight slide to go out to 600 yds, in 100 yd increments. All this was shot at 50 yds. Once at the rang where we had some distance I was able to get on a D target out to 400 yds with only minor sight adjustment needed to be well centered on target out to 400 yards.

I did the same thing with a 30-30 a couple weeks ago, got it on paper out to 300 yds using Sierra info for a Hornady bullet.
    Last edited by 30calflash; 10-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.

Hornady has a ballistic calculator on their web site that is a very good tool. I have used it to calculate drop out to 1000 yards for a cartridge and rifle combination I own based on a chrono reading and a 200 yard zero for two different rifles. It was spot on at 600 yards. I have been unable to test it further than that.
    You can set it up to suit yourself as far as zero yardage and distance readouts. You can punch in any ballistic coefficient you want. It doesn't have to be for a Hornady bullet.
    You can also print it out an have a hard copy.

Boolit Master
    Good info tazman, I didn;t think to look online. I don't have a chrony so I went with the tables and approximate match of velocity from there.

To the op's question, a few tenths difference in BC won't matter at short range, if you're using the 35 for woods hunting. If you're trying to stretch the distance for fun it won't matter til you get out to 4-500 yards.

Boolit Master

Great answers all and I do thank you. Ranges will only be out to 200 yards
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Have had this question out there for a few days with no response and after looking I think I put it in the wrong category.

The Lyman 358315 a 200 / 205 gn.round nose. Would anyone have any idea what the ballistic coefficient might be?
    In many ways, shape, size and form it appears to be the equal to the Hornaday 200 R.N and I wonder if the same BC can be used.
    Thanks
    I used the image of the 358315 mold in the Lyman catalog to scale the dimensions of the bullet and then entered the data into the Cast Bullet Design and Evaluation database.
    The software estimates the Ballistic Coefficient to be 0.2862.

(Click images to enlarge)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman 358135.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	228385 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman_358315.Jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	228381 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman_358315_200_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	228382

Then Cast Bullet Ballistic Coefficient Estimator software
    uses a slightly different algorithm to calculate Ballistic Coefficients and returns a B.C. of 0.2823

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCof 358135.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	228383

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lyman 358135.jpg  
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 10-06-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

The ballistic coefficient for the Hornady 200 RN is .192. The difference is minimal out to 200 yards.

Boolit Master
    I recall seeing the BC info in a Lyman reloading handbook, and it was. #48

The 358315 has a BC of .165, SD is .226. The Remington bullet was in the .148 range for BC.

Not trying to contest Tom's info, just what the manual presents.

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    I recall seeing the BC info in a Lyman reloading handbook, and it was. #48

The 358315 has a BC of .165, SD is .226. The Remington bullet was in the .148 range for BC.

Not trying to contest Tom's info, just what the manual presents.
    I just confirmed your numbers in the 49th handbook.