Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Pure Lead or 30:1 for Hunting Hollowpoint @ 1430 FPS?

Boolit Master

Pure Lead or 30:1 for Hunting Hollowpoint @ 1430 FPS?

I'm attempting to use one bullet in both a 45-70 and .45 Muzzleloader for deer hunting this fall... my bullet of choice is the Gould 330 grain hollowpoint... I have shot a few I had left over from many years ago cast from 30:1 alloy and sized some down to try in the muzzleloader... they seem a little to hard to load @ .452 and too loose at .451... thinking of trying to cast some after I get a new mold out of pure lead.. thinking that they would be easier to resize on my Lyman 45 and 450 than the 30:1 mix...but was concerned about the possibility of leading... I will be using a black powder lube in both rifles and will also be using over powder wads... can someone help me out here with their thoughts or experiences... much appreciated.

The Moose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    I use a lot of 40:1. But I have killed big and little things with 30:1 also.

I use the same bullet in my .45 cartridge and muzzleloader guns for deer. Works well, but sized down the muzzleloader bullet a little. No leading if those bullets were paper patched. I was assuming they were, but now that I look closer, maybe not.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Either 1:30 or 1:40 will work fine.

Most people use too hard an alloy.

I am shooting 1:40 in both .44-40 and .44 Magnum rifle and revolver 1000-1400 fps with 230-grain bullets no issues.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.