Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: .22 cal lube options

.22 cal lube options

What are you guys lubing your 22 caliber bullets with? I tried powder coating but want something more uniform. For pistols I powder coat using shake and bake, for rifles I stand them and spray them and even harbor freight black looks amazing. For 22 cal I can't really stand them they are so tiny and I feel like even smallest defects in PC when baked on mesh will have adverse accuracy effect so I though about trying Hi-Teck but I read some mixed reviews and I really hate acetone smell but I am willing to put on my gas mask and put my oven outside and deal with it if it means I can get better coat. Another option I haven't tried is traditional lubing and tumble lubing, anyone tried that? Which lube and method works? This is bolt gun so I am not worried about cycling if I can get about 2k fps I would be happy. P.S. I am shooting this from 221 fireball essentially a dwarf 223 cartridge. I haven't got any decent accuracy at all. I just casted some fresh bullets from COWW and some linotype added that need to be lubed/coated gas checked and resized and some ladder testing done, any powder recommendations? I got good variety of powders on hand.

Boolit Master

The smallest caliber I cast is 6.5mm. I started with Eds Red and switched to SL-68B. Both work great.

When i PC them. I just dump them on bakers paper. Keep them scattered in the pan. Standing them up is futile attempt.

I am torn on PCing. Sometimes i think it is just easier to grease when i compare time and effort of each.

If i am not mistaken. 2400 was designed for the small cased 22cals. 2400 got it's name because that was the advertised velocity. Lyman cast bullet handbook has about 50 loads. Red Dot, Green Dot, 2400, 4227, Unique, HS-6 ext.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Just a couple of things. I size to .226 and lube with LBT Blue, Carnuba Red, or Speed Green. I don't use an expander ball and use a Lyman M die to open the neck. Just keep playing with different combinations, the 221 will shoot lead.

Boolit Master
    I have been impact-coating with moly (NECO Corp.) since the mid 1990's After waxing with Carnuaba, bullets are sized .226 & 1st. band tapered to match leade angle. 1 groove is then filled with Lyman Super Moly.

Super Moderator

I use White Label's 2500+ for the majority of my rifle stuff, including 22 Cal. If you don't want to powder coat, it's what I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    The smallest caliber I cast is 6.5mm. I started with Eds Red and switched to SL-68B. Both work great.

When i PC them. I just dump them on bakers paper. Keep them scattered in the pan. Standing them up is futile attempt.

I am torn on PCing. Sometimes i think it is just easier to grease when i compare time and effort of each.

If i am not mistaken. 2400 was designed for the small cased 22cals. 2400 got it's name because that was the advertised velocity. Lyman cast bullet handbook has about 50 loads. Red Dot, Green Dot, 2400, 4227, Unique, HS-6 ext.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I have Lyman cast book 3rd edition, last time I actually loaded with 2400 and I started with suggested lowest charge that the manual said 12gr for 2173fps and BAM I got somewhere 2700-2800 right off the bat that really surprised me! I didn't take in to account the data was for pistol with 10.5" barrel and I was shooting out of 24" barrel, the velocity kept increasing as I was step ladder testing to around 3000 fps but accuracy sucked even at lowest charge. I just casted a fresh batch with better alloy, going to size .225 (lyman suggests .224) and will try different powders and different lubes. I think 4198 showed some promise at lower charge. I will try 45-45-10 I was worried it would lead.

Thanks guys for replies, I lost my thread but I see suggestions that I was hopping to see. Will try White Label, had my eye on it for a while, just need to do something about my RCBS LAM II it's pretty crooked.