Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone have one of these?

Banned

anyone have one of these?

rem 700 long range? If so how does it shoot? https://www.gunsamerica.com/90790514...0-84163-NE.htm

Boolit Buddy

Clicked on the link, didn't bring up anything

Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    Clicked on the link, didn't bring up anything
    Same here

Same here also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    If it's the .30-06 model don't bother. I had one for a while and it didn't shoot like I expected it to no matter what load I tried the best I got was about an inch and a quarter. My old bdl will do 3/4" of an inch with almost no regard for ammo. So I sold the long range.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

id expect like most remingturds, if you throw the trigger in the garbage and glass bed the stock it'll shoot fairly well.

Boolit Master
    Bought a rem 700 Sendero in 308.Never could get real accuracy out of it. The usual 42.0 grs 4895 with a 168 Sierra matchking shot great in my old Savage 110Fp heavy barrel but not in the rem. Was thinking of getting the Rem reworked into 6.5 Creedmoor. Short on money long on enthusiasm. I've only had two factory rifles not U.S. made that really shot well. Steyr forget the model with adjustable length of pull in 30-06 would consistently get groups as small as 3/4"and the other which I will never sell is my Sako 75 hunter with wood stock and detachable magazine. That rifle will shoot 30-06 handloads at 3/4" and loves the remaining Lake City M-72 match ammo. Funny thing about that rifle. Will shoot my 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tips at 2800fps and the old M72 almost to the same point of impact. Didn't even have to change scope settings. Weird. Frank

Banned

I believe it has an aluminum bedding block.
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    id expect like most remingturds, if you throw the trigger in the garbage and glass bed the stock it'll shoot fairly well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    that's the one. I really like the thought of a 7mag for a long range deer gun. Problem for me is ive owned 7 of them. Mostly rugers, one savage and one Winchester and one old adl rem and none of them did much better then 1.5 in at a 100 yards and the rugers were VERY lucky to shoot 2 inch groups. Only exception was that old adl. It shot moa and I foolishly let it go on trade toward a 264 77 that was a REAL turd. A couple of those rugers were old tang safety guns that shot closer to 3moa.

Unlike some ive had good luck with even the newer rems. Ive got a sps 06 that I put in a cdl wood stock (because it was as ugly as a savage) that will shoot moa with about anything and groups that are amazing with loads it likes. its probably the most consistently accurate sporter weight rifle ive ever owned. I also had a cdl stainless in 257 wby that was easily a moa gun right out of the box and again got talked out of that one. I understand that some have stuggled with them and maybe there not the rems of the 60s and 70s but there sure far from junk today.

Throw the trigger in the garbage? Well ill agree with that but youd best throw your ruger triggers into a hazardous waste disposal site. Even the new Winchester are bad out of the box as are about all of them in this law suit crazy world. When I buy a new gun I factor in the 100 bucks or so it takes to throw a timney trigger in it.

This years gun budget is going to buy a new 257wby and a 7mag. Ive kind of settled on a vanguard for the 257. Buddy has one and I had an 06 vanguard and both were real shooters. I just don't want to buy two of the same. I know its kind of silly but when I saw this new rem it kind of stood out in the price range with the features it had.

Im not real brand loyal other then the fact you would get me to spend a 100 bucks on another 77 ruger. Ive owned probably a dozen or more of them through the years and had exactly one good one. A 2506 hawkeye. I laughed at that one. My brother in law lives in montana. He ended up with the other brother in law that got killed in a car wrecks 8mm mag bdl. I want that gun bad so told him to pick anything in the safe. Now I had probably 25 or more bolt guns at that time and he picked a ruger! If it was the typical ruger ive owned I wouldn't have even let him walk out the door with it. It kind of hurt though because like I said I searched high and wide for a good shooting 77 and had to give that one up. Ive had much better luck through the years getting accurate #1s then I have 77s and even a few of them have been turds.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-05-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Boolit Master
    Bergara makes a 300 win mag in the HMR line for about the same price as Remingtons long range. I'd go that route instead of a new production Remington.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I believe it has an aluminum bedding block.
    dont make a difference. due to sloppy tolerance every single stock i have ever seen with an aluminum bedding block responded to being glass bedded.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 700 long range in 30-06. Shot in the 1.5 inch range. Put a timney trigger in it skim bedded it still a 1.5 inch gun. Pulled the barrel and chamber was .034 off the centerline of the bore looked like it was chambered ith a hand drill . Cut. The chamber off and fitted barrel to a Turk Mauser action and it shoots 3/4 still trying to decide what barrel to put on the remlin

Boolit Buddy
    After all the faults in my last remington and being told they were all within remington specs I will never own a remington again

Boolit Buddy
    I am stuck with one of those turds no stellar accuracy there. My M1a out shoots it by alot with iron sights the only the only respectable load I could get it to shoot was Winchester 150gr. PP. My handloads were a no go and no one will buy it due to the recall. Buy a savage its a better gun.

Banned

"Buy a savage its a better gun"
    Won't say it is better, but more accurate
    I have only have Savage 110s
    Criticize them all you want, but they are accurate
    Add a decent stock and you are golden, Boyds for me
    Even with the factory stocks they are shooters

Banned

these are hs precision stocks not the typical cheap plastic rem stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    dont make a difference. due to sloppy tolerance every single stock i have ever seen with an aluminum bedding block responded to being glass bedded.

Banned

Ive bought two savage axis 243s for my grandkids. Good shooters but not exceptional. The trigger that came in that model isn't the accutrigger and is about the worse trigger ive ever pulled. I don't care for accutriggers but the ones they put on there entry level guns are pathetic at best. I Put timneys in both of those guns and there good solid 1.5 inch guns and I had to do load development to get there. Ive owned a few other savage rifles. I kind of chuckle at the kool aid drinkers that want you to believe every savage is a sum moa gun. You get good and bad just like 700s and 70s and all three are a step up from most 77s. Yes savages are good shooters but theres sure nothing magical about them. What I see in them is about average shooters compared to the rest and fit and finish lags behind. If im going to buy a savage buy a new stock for it, buy a new trigger for it I might as well buck up for a Winchester 70 that will shoot right out of the box and has great fit and finish and looks a heck of a lot better. Im looking for a 600 dollar rifle not one I will have a grand invested in. Bad mouth rem if you must but come over and shoot my sps 06 one time. It will shot 1 inch at a 100 yards with the factory trigger and stock. I put it in a cdl wood stock and bedded just the recoil lug added a timney trigger and it will put loads it likes into 3/4s of a inch and im taking an average of 3 5 shot groups not one freak 3 shot group. Its probably the most consistently accurate sporter weight rifle ive ever owned and ive owned a pile of them. If I had to choose a brand of rifle that would about guarantee me moa shooting and was the best fit and finished gun and it was the 60s and 70s id pick a 700 hands down. today I would have to say a model 70 Winchester but they sure don't give them away anymore. Sorry savage fans they were a good bang for the buck back in the early 80s when they cost a heck of a lot less then the others but today there just as expensive as a 70 or 700.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "Buy a savage its a better gun"
    Won't say it is better, but more accurate
    I have only have Savage 110s
    Criticize them all you want, but they are accurate
    Add a decent stock and you are golden, Boyds for me
    Even with the factory stocks they are shooters

Banned

Hard to compare an Axis with a 110. Just a suggestion on my part. Hope you get what you want. I paid $600. With stock and scope you are around $1k. I did not " bad mouth" Remington, but a lot of people do.
    Last edited by jmort; 10-06-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast