WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone have one of these?

Boolit Master

Lloyd, if I read it right you've got a fine, accurate .30-06 that shoot anything moa LOL! How many thousand yards are you looking to shoot?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

You will not catch me buying anything remington these days. Best sporter weight rifle I ever bought was a tikka, 300win, honestly a repeatable sub moa rifle. Worth taking a look.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    You will not catch me buying anything remington these days. Best sporter weight rifle I ever bought was a tikka, 300win, honestly a repeatable sub moa rifle. Worth taking a look.
    I agree, I got to sight in a friends Tikka I didn't think I could shoot that well, again avoid the remington

Boolit Master
    Supposedly both Tikka and Sako have very high hardness in their rifle barrels. Remember more than a couple posts about this. I have a Sako 75 hunter in '06 and shoots extremely well. While commercial manufactured as we have here in the states they make their barrels to a price point. And there's the rub. While many of those barrels shoot well it's always interesting to see and hear that when rebarreled with some of the better know barrel makers barrels that there is a definite and in some cases substantial improvement in accuracy. Just what exactly are they doing to turn out such accurate barrels. I bought a brand new Ruger 77 in 308, try as I might could never get anything better that 1.5" at 100 yds. Same with my Ruger #1 in 45/70. the #1 groove diameter is .459 so standard jacketed .457-.458 bullets will not shoot to their potential. The one in 308 barely reached 1" but that was when I had a bunch of West German DEN 7.62 nato ammunition. I do know that for awhile Ruger didn't make their own barrels but had contracted for them. Supossedly they weren't the best. I dearly love my #1 but am seriously comtemplating getting it rebarreled with one of the better known barrel makers. And not a carbine length one 22" that's on my #1. 24" or maybe 26". And a different setup for mounting scopes. I'm literally climbing the stock trying to get a good sight picture. With the mass marketing of short bodies scopes for the short actions someone should come out with a longbodied scope. And why does ruger insist on installing a stock that's only good for iron sights. The cheekpiece is so low can't get a good cheekweld. What with the money Ruger is getting for a #1 they should be able to do better. At the opposite end of the spectrum mt 40X in 308/7.62 nato has a laminated thumbhole stock. which is too darn high a comb to get a good shooting position. I had a Nikon 6.5x20 on the 40x and still could not get decent groups due to that darn high comb. As a aside I have one of the CMP H&R model 12 single shot 22 target rifles. You gotta cram your neck to use the irons yet when I stuck a redfield 3200 in 20x had no trouble. Ok I'll get off my soapbox. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "Buy a savage its a better gun"
    Won't say it is better, but more accurate
    I have only have Savage 110s
    Criticize them all you want, but they are accurate
    Add a decent stock and you are golden, Boyds for me
    Even with the factory stocks they are shooters
    I shoot a Savage and a Winchester model 70, both shoot at under 1/2" at a 100 yds.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Banned

comical how some want to get sarcastic. By moa I refer to what most call moa shooting a inch or less at a 100 yards. I can say without reservation that that 700 will hold moa out to 400 yards and ive shot a good many deer with it out at 3-400 yards. Is it a 2000 yard gun? NOPE. But your out of the box savage sure isn't either. Im talking deer hunting rifles here not sniper rifles or long range competition guns. I dare you to show me an 800 dollar deer rifle that will compete in 1000 yard bench rest shooting and bring home a trophy. Youll probably have close to that just in the trigger. Funny thing is everyone thinks they look gun savoy by bashing a 700. There still used more in completive shooting and as serious sniper rifles then all the other brands combined. Ever think there might be a reason for that? I don't see a single savage used by any of our military services and ive yet to see one built into a serious long range competition gun. Ive seen 70s 700s and sakos used as comp guns and sniper rifles but never a savage or ruger 77. why is it every post about 700s brings out all the internet experts that just love to bash the big dog on the block? I asked about a specific model not your general opinion of 700s. Aint my first rodeo. Ive been shooting and hunting and have owned as many or more guns then anyone here and dare say ive killed more deer with bolt guns that about anyone here. 32 so far this year! I was looking for a specific answer to a specific model not sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Lloyd, if I read it right you've got a fine, accurate .30-06 that shoot anything moa LOL! How many thousand yards are you looking to shoot?
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-07-2018 at 06:24 AM.

Boolit Master

Not sarcasm Lloyd, just a little joshing. My point was that '06 you've got will kill anything, however far you can shoot 'em! I fully understand the impulse for a new gun though, or several! I've got the same bug. Good luck and continued good shooting. Hal
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

The two most accurate rifles in my safe are Remington 700s. My 25-06 is a jewel. It's about 20 yrs. old. That said my last two Remington rifle purchases have been pure junk and that's being generous. I'll not buy another. Gp

Banned

actually my favorite whitetail culling gun is my mark v 240 wby. For some reason it seems I just shoot it better then any other gun in the safe. Nothing fancy. no white spacers or forend tip. Just the entry level wood mark V. It has decked so many deer that my buddy nick named it thumper. Only problem with it is it had better dump them because it usually leaves a pretty dismal blood trail. It dumped 19 deer this year and none took more then two leaps before piling up. All shots were between 250 and 400 yards. One a bit farther. I have not doubt whatsoever hogtamer that my 06s would kill any deer I shoot out to 500 yards and that's my self imposed max. But like you said sometimes you just need a new toy to play with. ive been consentrating on ar's for the last couple years and have even traded some bolt guns off to finance the new obsession but I have a yearning to get a couple new bolt guns to play with. used to have a safe full of mag bolt guns. Now im down the the 240 and a 300 h&h. Crop damage shooting was so dismal the last couple years that I thought it was going to peter right out but they came back in droves this year and im sure we will be doing it for a few more years. After that this old body probably wont be able to do it anyway. around here in normal deer season a guy could get by easily with a 3030. As a matter of fact for 17 years I hunted deer season with handguns 15 of them with open sighted handguns. Up to the point my eyes just weren't good enough anymore and I had to go back to a rifle.

Boolit Master

Aint my first rodeo. Ive been shooting and hunting and have owned as many or more guns then anyone here and dare say ive killed more deer with bolt guns that about anyone here. 32 so far this year! I was looking for a specific answer to a specific model not sarcasm.
    ok

………………...
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    Clicked on the link, didn't bring up anything
    I second that!
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master
    Might as well buy it and tell us how it shoots. Sounds like you already have your mind made up.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Might as well buy it and tell us how it shoots. Sounds like you already have your mind made up.
    thats my thought too. like i said originally, just expect some work to make it shoot up to your expectations.

Banned

probably will but not till after Christmas. Retirement makes you really think and plan your purchases. Used to be if I wanted a gun I bought it. Not quite so easy anymore. Used to be if I didn't like it and it didn't shoot I just took the loss and peddled it. Anymore I cant afford to many lemons.
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post

Banned

doesn't work now for me either. its the new Remington long range 700. Basicaly an inexpensive (relatively) 700 with a slightly heavier barrel then a standard 700 and a BC block bedded stock that is the same stock the marine corp sniper rifle uses. Lots of gun for 700 bucks if it shoots.
    Quote Originally Posted by If1Hitu View Post
    I second that!
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-11-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Banned

Typically touchy touchy thread.

Boolit Master
    The Marine Corps uses McMillan stocks. The stocks alone run $500-$700+ depending on options.

Banned

you are correct. The BC stock is a copy of the stock the marine corp originaly replaced the wood stock with. Pretty tough to get a 700 dollar stock on a 700 dollar rifle. Bottom line is its a big step up from the plastic stocks they use on there adls and sps guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The Marine Corps uses McMillan stocks. The stocks alone run $500-$700+ depending on options.

Boolit Master
    It is an upgrade from the plastic stocks, lol.

Banned

Well my Savage 11s came with their best plastic stocks. I hear they are better than McMillan stocks. I believe the Seals use Savage plastic stocks and all snipers across all branches. I think this is fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast