Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Accurate Bullet Mould

Accurate Bullet Mould

Yes, I wanted a bit more bullet weight to shoot to the sights of a fixed sight revolver I use for which I have another cylinder in .44 Magnum, and the difference between a 240-grain .44 Magnum and a 200- or 215-grain .44-40 was too much, but just adding the bevel base to John's 43-215C gave me a 230 which worked well with either black or smokeless, was accurate in both of my rifles, as well as revolvers, and also gave astounding penetration on game.

The 43-230G is a double-crimp groove design which can be seated out in the rear crimp groove to increase powder capacity in the .44 Special, or in the front crimp groove to maintain standard overall length for magazine feeding in the Marlin 1894S or Winchester 92. It works OK for black powder use in revolvers, but for rifle use with barrels longer than 20" the 43-230EB has more lube capacity to prevent foul-out if you intend to fire more than one tube full.

Outpost75

With regard to your bullet 43-230EB. Being a heaver bullet that John's 43-215C does this make the bullet any longer (having consideration to the feeding and lifter of the 1873) - from case mouth to nose. I know you said you just added a bevel base to the 43-215C but when I look at the Accurate drawings, the 43-230EB seems to be a bit longer. Can you shed some light on this please as I'm going to order a couple of moulds from Accurate. I need a heaver bullet for some silhouette matches we have over here and was looking at the 43-245C. Do you think this weight is beyond the capabilities of the 44 WCF in the 1873.
    Regards

Bob.

Boolit Buddy
    In regards to my own experience, I shoot the RCBS plain base Keith 245-250 grain seated deep and lightly crimped over the front driving band to an OAL of 1.590. Load runs about 900 fps in an original 1873 44 WCF. Use this in Leveraction Silhouette Matches Takes the Targets down with authority.
    Rick

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Both bullets are .285" nose length from meplat to crimp groove. Either will work in the 1873.

Difference mainly in 0.03 added in the bevel base.

Slight reduction in powder capacity with 230EB, when seated to crimp groove, but still adequate to stabilize bullet with black powder in 38" twist of rifling. A bullet heavier than about 240 grains or 0.70" long needs a heavier smokeless charge to shoot accurately past 100 yards.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Hey Outpost75,
    Thanks for the replies guys. Outpost75, what are your thoughts on a charge of Rl 7 with the 43-245C. I imagine it would have to be less than the 23.5gr Rl 7 with the 240gr lead bullet mentioned by a number of people way back. I have been using 24.5gr of Rl 7 with a Winchester 200gr bullet cast in wheel -weights and decided to try the heavier loads you mentioned on 07/31/2018 –
    ‘Indian Joe, the late John Kort did all of this testing with RL7 in original 1873s and there is no issue with up to a 240-grain lead bullet and 24.5 grains of RL7, which was pressure tested by Hercules and within standard pressure. With a lighter 200-grain lead bullet it is entirely OK to increase the charge with RL7 to about 26.0-26.5 grs. so as to achieve slight compression, about 1/8", to provide the same base support to the bullet which black powder does. Also a standard pressure load.’

Below is the accuracy tests I did with Rl 7 at 60yds - 24.5 = 2 ½” (8 shots in 3 ¼”), 25 = 5” (a flyer here), 25.5 = 2 7/8”, 26 = 1 ½”, 26.5 = 3 ¼”.
    I am going to repeat these tests using plain lead in the Winchester mold and see if there is any difference in accuracy.
    I’m going to order a couple of molds from Accurate –the 43-215C, 43-230EB and the 43-245C with an applied bevel base – I don’t know if this will help with distances beyond 100 yards.
    As I mentioned earlier I want to use the 43-245C driven by Rl 7 in lever action silhouette matches and would be most appreciative of your thoughts on this combination to help me achieve acceptable accuracy in the 1873 beyond 100 yards.
    Regards
    Bob
    Rick B,
    That 250 grain Keith looks like one big bullet, no wonder it takes the targets down with authority. What ranges do you shoot at? That OAL looks like it will just fit in the lifter. You mentioned that you crimped it over the front driving ban, is that to keep the OAL down? Can you tell me what charge you use to launch the big fellow out there?
    Regards
    Bob.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The correct charge of RL7 varies a bit based upon case wall thickness, but as originally tested by Hercules in 1995:

Attachment 228512

they used 23.5 grains with a 240-grain lead bullet and pressure is within safe limits for the 1873.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Outpost75,

Thanks again for your knowledge. I'll see how we go with the 43-245C.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Hello, Bob
    PM you on the load information. Yes the 245-250 RCBs Keith is a big bullet. The RCBS 44 WCF dies size the cases well. I use an RCBS Cowboy Expander plug of .428 and seat a .4305 bullet. Good neck tension bullets never move back in the Starline Brass. I believe that 1.590 is the OAL to ensure reliable feeding. The roll crimp is light, just enough to allow the case mouth not to snag on anything. This light crimp does not contact the bullet!There is a gap between the case moth and the taper on the Keith nose. Loaded round looks odd, but I have shot thousands with no issues.
    The NRA Levergun Matches are shot at 40,50,75&100 meters. Never shot this bullet past 100 meters. Our rules state that the rifle has to load from the magazine tube. In a five shot string, many shooters including myself only keep one round up the pipe. Shoot the first shot chamber the next round and then load a round through the loading gate. This prevent nose damage and bullet setback.the load I shoot launches the Boolits at 900 fps.
    Rick