Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: 75 grain lead wadcutter .357 MAg Brass using Bullseye out of 77/357

Boolit Master

75 grain lead wadcutter .357 MAg Brass using Bullseye out of 77/357

My goal is a very light load to use in a upgraded 77/357 shooting Bullseye and a 75 grain lead wadcutter in .357 brass. It will be used just for the fun of punching holes in paper at 25 and 50 yards. Any suggestions as to load or applicability of powder? I have Bullseye on hand and not wanting to get another powder.

Boolit Master

I've shot a variety of wadcutters in my 77/357, 3 grains of BE, bullets ranging from 148 to 160 grains. Shot great at 25-30 yards, by fifty yards any accuracy pretty well vanished. Good for shooting squirrels.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned
    Any reason you want such a short bullet?

The savings in lead may not be worth the short bearing surface of such a truncated wadcutter. You're in round ball territory with a 75 grain WC.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In a revolver you will find a 75-grain bullet is going to shoot a foot or more low at 25 yards compared to a standard load. If you want a low noise load with light recoil try loading a flush-seated 148-grain wadcutter with 1.5-1.7 grains of Bullseye, about half a regular charge.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

My DAD & UNCLE tried them in the early 1960's. Not really stable past 20yds or so.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I've shot the 75 gr wc out of a .38 and had a ball with 'em. not near my load data right. i'll try and dig it up

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    My DAD & UNCLE tried them in the early 1960's. Not really stable past 20yds or so.
    My experience exactly. These might do you at 25 yards, though groups will likely be nothing to write home about, but at 50 yards you'll think you have a smoothbore. I have used them in multi-ball loads and in beginner's loads for training my 7 year old daughter. I do not think they will work well for you, but all my experience is in revolvers, if you have already cast the boolits, you can give them a try. 2.5 to 3.0 grains of bullseye should give you the best results.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I hope you load them up and give a range report on them. I would start with 3 grains of Bullseye and go from there. Would like to hear the good or bad when hotels done. thanks Todd

Boolit Master
    I have had good results with 231, but have changed to Bullseye for the duration of the supply. At 25 yards it is just fun to shoot. Pull the trigger and a nice round hole appears with accuracy good enough to be enjoyable. My concern is this is a completely lead boolit and pushed too fast will lead the barrel.

If one views this as a gallery load or just a grown up BB gun it makes sense. It also provides time to learn the trigger of the rifle at about 4 or 5 cents a shot and all the time smiling.

I have tried round ball loads out of a 38 revolver in the past and was disappointed with the lack of accuracy achieved. Besides it is just fun to have holes that look like a paper punch cut them out.

Just harmless low cost entertainment. No intent other than punching holes in paper at short range with no recoil or much noise and putting a smile on my face.

Banned
    PB234, I wasn't suggesting that you use a round ball, I was commenting that a 75 grain wadcutter is almost the same weight as a 36 caliber pure lead round ball. That's a very short wadcutter. I think you'll get better results with a longer (and therefore heavier) wadcutter that has a bit more bearing surface and can carry a little more lube with it down that long barrel.

A WC can be very soft and still not lead the bore provided the velocities are reasonable AND it has the right lube.

I don't think the recoil of a 148gr WC is even going to be distinguishable from a 75 grain WC when shot from a 77/357 rifle.

My guess is the slight savings in lead per shot isn't going to be worth it and a more traditional 148 grain WC will yield better accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    PB234, I wasn't suggesting that you use a round ball, I was commenting that a 75 grain wadcutter is almost the same weight as a 36 caliber pure lead round ball. That's a very short wadcutter. I think you'll get better results with a longer (and therefore heavier) wadcutter that has a bit more bearing surface and can carry a little more lube with it down that long barrel.

A WC can be very soft and still not lead the bore provided the velocities are reasonable AND it has the right lube.

I don't think the recoil of a 148gr WC is even going to be distinguishable from a 75 grain WC when shot from a 77/357 rifle.

My guess is the slight savings in lead per shot isn't going to be worth it and a more traditional 148 grain WC will yield better accuracy.
    I have been using a couple coats of Bills Liquid Lube with success. I only mentioned the round ball as an aside. The 77/357 I am using has been worked over considerably with a new barrel and trigger, stock, non functional metallic sights, etc. It turned out fairly OK but overall a disappointment. It was one of those occasions where you send something to a smith and get back a bunch of parts that don't work perfectly with each other.

Boolit Bub
    I put two of them on top of trail boss just for a fun close range varmint load

Boolit Master

Made up one of these molds a few years back by taking a standard 148 gn. mold and milling it down.
    Use two at a time in .38 and .357 cases mostly with Bullseye. A lot of fun up to 15 to 20 yards, all over the place after that.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Good for plinking and easy on the lead supply.

Boolit Master
    If that one doesn't work out for you, you might try the Lee 105gr SWC. Still cheap on alloy and powder and it's been accurate out of revolvers and auto pistols. I haven't tried it out of carbine yet, but that's coming. Like many projects, I just need to get a round tuit.

Boolit Master
    i loaded some in error 2gn instead of 7gn true blue one stopped half out of the barrel of my win trapper ,wish id taken a photo.just take care not to get one stuck in the barrel .