RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Soft Cast for low velocity

Boolit Mold

Soft Cast for low velocity

Hi, I have just started casting some 148gr 357 Wadcutters In a LEE mould.

The load I am using is 3gr of Bullseye and are just for target, not measured it, but from what I can find the velocity is about 780fps.

The lead I have lots of is very old roofing lead that has all been melted down into clean ingots.

So the question is, will this lead be ok at this velocity?

Thanks...

Got a whole pile of questions coming up

Super Moderator

Welcome to Cast Boolits! Your alloy should be OK, and as long as the bullet fit is good you should be good to go. I size my 38SPL wadcutters to .358. If you don't get good fillout in your mold, you can always add a little tin to your mix.

Banned
    I see you've been lurking for a few years, I can appreciate that. you can learn alot by reading and researching. That search box at the top of the forum pages is my best friend, I't connects us to all the posts/information gathered in the past on this site.

I think it might be a little soft and you'll need to add a hardener either tin or antimony

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...4&d=1341560870

Boolit Master
    I cast some 454190s for .45 Colt from jacketed bullet core metal, which is essentially pure lead when you throw them all together. I shot them at about 825 fps lubed with both LLA and 50/50. Accuracy was poor, leading was worse than usual. The same loads with bullets cast of clip-on wheelweighs shot much better with minimal leading.

Boolit Master

I think the lead alloy is fine. Swagged bullets are nearly pure lead. Of course the bullet has to fit the bore. One problem you may run into is getting a well cast boolit with pure lead. You may need to add tin to get the best boolits out of the mold.

Boolit Master
    I would go for it but a touch of tin or pewter could help with fill out and size of boolits . How are you planning on lubing them ?

Boolit Mold
    Wow so much info so quickly.

Yes, I have been lurking for a while, I have made a few attempts in the past at casting, but now is the time to get it sorted.

Lubing, this was going to be another question, I have an RCBS Lube-a-matic on its way, so this will be my next challenge to set this up.

Super Moderator

I have a 6 cavity Lee 148 Wadcutter mold, the non TL button nosed version. To be honest, with this particular boolit I don't even bother with the lube-sizer. I just tumble lube with LLA, works fine. I don't know if you've seen this thread, but it might be of interest to you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-in-a-Model-27

Boolit Master
    Slide over to the revolver section and read the sticky a beginners guide to revolver accuracy it can point you in the right direction on fitting your cast boolits to your revolver .

Banned
    DaveC - the chart in post #3 is the ticket. I also agree with post #6 and would add a little bit of tin to help the mold fill out plus the tin will make the resulting alloy just a bit harder.

A .357" wadcutter driven at less than 800 fps could be very soft and still work just fine but a bit of tin will help.

If you haven't read Glen Fryxell's work, you should:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Good Luck

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Hi, I have just started casting some 148gr 357 Wadcutters In a LEE mould.

The load I am using is 3gr of Bullseye and are just for target, not measured it, but from what I can find the velocity is about 780fps.

The lead I have lots of is very old roofing lead that has all been melted down into clean ingots.

So the question is, will this lead be ok at this velocity?

Thanks...

Got a whole pile of questions coming up
    I see you're in the UK, what gun will you be shooting those WC's in?

Boolit Master
    I shoot your load in my k frames. About 1-2% added tin/pewter by weight helps fill out. I cast at 715-725degF. I use a soft lube but only in the last lube groove. Too much lube just makes a mess and a big lube star at the muzzle. 1 lube groove works just right in my 4" & 6" barrels. That's no leading near the muzzle. It's pleasant to shoot for extended sessions and fairly accurate. It won't beat your gun to death.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve started adding tin to my range scrap, that should already have some in it and am getting nicer Boolits.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I see you're in the UK, what gun will you be shooting those WC's in?
    Not a great deal of choice in the UK, but I have just got hold of an Alfa 357 Long Barrel Revolver, just about the best I am going to get in the UK, lovely to fire though.