RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would my lifestyle transplant to Utah?

Would my lifestyle transplant to Utah?

Mrs. Thumbcocker and I are really smitten with southern Utah. We were wondering if our lifestyle would transplant there. We own over 60 acres of land. We have a garden, fruit trees and all the firewood we need on the land. We also each get free landowner deer and Turkey tags. We have no problem getter g 2 or 3 deer a year. Just walk out the back door and get into our stand. (1/4 mile or so walk).

The question is: How feasible is a similar lifestyle in Utah? Firewood looks a more scarce in lots of places. Also is it feasible for a couple of folks in their 60's to hunt enough red meat to get by? I handgun hunt exclusively so that would be a factor. Don't care about horns just meat. Also how about garden and fruit trees? Input would be appreciated.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

Different country, different life. I was born and raised in the 4 corners area, lots of open country, not much water.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master

I drill some oil wells there years ago. No water. no plants, no fruit trees, no garden, no criters that eat that stuff. It is breath taking beautifully but harsh. Walk around for day or week to try it out. There are several homesteader groups on the net. I will be seeing a nephew this wkend. He lives in that part of the world a is a big hunter. I'll get back to you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Mrs. Thumbcocker and I are really smitten with southern Utah. We were wondering if our lifestyle would transplant there. We own over 60 acres of land. We have a garden, fruit trees and all the firewood we need on the land. We also each get free landowner deer and Turkey tags. We have no problem getter g 2 or 3 deer a year. Just walk out the back door and get into our stand. (1/4 mile or so walk).

The question is: How feasible is a similar lifestyle in Utah? Firewood looks a more scarce in lots of places. Also is it feasible for a couple of folks in their 60's to hunt enough red meat to get by? I handgun hunt exclusively so that would be a factor. Don't care about horns just meat. Also how about garden and fruit trees? Input would be appreciated.
    With the sole exception of your land being in the People's Republic of Illinois, it sounds like absolute paradise on earth.

Look around and see what's available in Southern Utah. See if you can find out about how good the hunting is in the area. Preferably from locals. A garden might be possible on the land, but fruit trees might be asking a bit too much depending on the land and it's access to water. I haven't been to Utah (yet), but if it's anything like Arizona then I can tell you that firewood is not going to be plentiful unless you want to burn sagebrush and dried up cactus. Oh, and the dry heat is going to feel like sandpaper when the wind is really blowing. I believe you get used to it. Beats swimming in high humidity heat though. As an East Texan, I can tell you that for sure.

If you move there, some parts of your lifestyle are going to have to change. That can be a good thing sometimes though. Sit down with your wife and look over the pros and cons. You might decide you will like those changes or that they're worth the benefits of living in Utah.
    Last edited by am44mag; 10-03-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Super Moderator

Utah is not all Salt Cedar & Sagebrush! There are some nice valleys with plenty of water, fruit trees and grass. The problem is...most, if not all those spots have already been spoken for. If you have some dough, you may be able to pursued someone to sell you some good land.

Boolit Master

Ralph, you guys have already looked around cedar city a bit, that would be a good area. It is a little warmer down here by st George, but livable.

In between is Leeds, and there is wonderful soil there, I have several sets of in laws that live there, and their gardens are amazing.

Gardens and fruit trees are definitely doable here, as well as nut trees.

As far as hunting, buck tags for any legal weapon come every 2-3 years, but there are doe tags, cow elk tags, and you can buy bull elk tags over the counter.

Acreage can be hard to come by, but I have heard of a ten acre ranch property nearby, with 5 buildings on it, for about $600k.

I think you and Janet would love it here, but I'm sure it would be a big step.

But here, it is free to go in the hills and shoot your 44 as far as you wish.

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

It depends, do a lot more research before you leap. Traveling through an area is not the same as living there. Some things to think about are 'water rights', travel distance to medical, the local dominant religion, taxes, shopping (food and supplies), weather and related events - year round, not just the tourist season, transportation (air, train etc.) and of course the price of real estate. Otherwise it is your choice.
    I lived, traveled and have friends in Utah, but prefer my current location despite all the new emigrants, the absurd development, loss of game and quiet places and the need to pack water for local day hikes!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

I live in northern utah but spent 9 years in saint George.

Land. Apple pear and nut trees do well.

Look for furit )/ nut farms in the area and ask them for tips

Forget fire wood you won't need it. But if you still want it it can be found. Get a permit for dead timberline and you can break a truck.

Stay away from Colorado city / hilldale.

Kanab is awesome smallish town.

Saint George is booming. But hotter then hell in the summer.

Gun laws are as relaxed as you can get.
    Open carry
    Ccw us cheap and easy to get.
    No limit on how many guns you can buy or own.
    Some gas stations still sell ammo.

Pro
    Friendly people everywhere
    You can feel safe every where.
    Very pretty views.

Cons
    Taxes in Utah Suck. We tax milk for petes sake.
    The dominant religion can be a bit pushy.
    Roads can be ****ty And salty in the winter.
    Alcohol is run by state liquor stores.
    Beer is .3% unless you buy it at the liquor store.

Hunting is different story.

Must buy anew permit every year.

Get a combo fishing / game.

We have a lottery on all med to large game.

You are not gaurnteed to draw out.
    Deer
    5 - 15 bucks gets you In if you don't get a tag. You get a point. Up till 5 points the you Auto get one. That's the rifel hunt.

Bow / black powder / etc. Are easier to get.

Water foul is in season only. Just need your permit.

Elk / moose/ ram etc.. take longer to draw out. Rules are different.

Buffalo is a once in a lifetime draw. And only 4 are awarded a year.

But hey we gave it.

Dangerous game.

Couger, mountain lion and bear are also possible.

Coyte you get paid 25 bucks for each head.

Joke
    Whats the difference between Utah beer and making live in a canoe.

Not much there both fudging near water.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Most are shocked at the high prices of western land. There are as of now plenty of benefits. Only you can make that determination. The best way is to move there 4-6 months and rent to make sure it is what you want to do.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Beer is .3% unless you buy it at the liquor store.
    Is that really 0.3% beer? OR 3% beer? 0.3% is non-alcoholic...... well, almost anyway. For sure wouldn't be any getting drunk on 0.3% beer - stomach wouldn't hold that much!

Actually houses seem quite reasonable. With access to public land for hunting etc. one could compromise on acreage. Land in Illinois that will grow crops is around $7000 an acre in some places.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Is that really 0.3% beer? OR 3% beer? 0.3% is non-alcoholic...... well, almost anyway. For sure wouldn't be any getting drunk on 0.3% beer - stomach wouldn't hold that much!
    3.2%, for now. Next year the legislature is going to look at changing that, as less and less states are requiring it, so the brewers are deciding that it just isn't worth making it anymore.

Yes, the liquor stores are state run, and they have declared that they will be unable to handle the volume of selling ALL beer in the state.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    one thing I have heard from some guys that have bought land west of the Mississippi is make shore you have the water rights in the deed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    one thing I have heard from some guys that have bought land west of the Mississippi is make shore you have the water rights in the deed.
    Sound advise. We looked at "Weekend" places in Utah a couple decades ago so we could get out of the LAsVegas Basin desert on weekends in the summer. Accessing water is very difficult. Most water rights have been assigned in Utah; this includes Culinary Water Rights (House Use). On the various properties we looked at from Panguich Utah down to the Saint George Utah area we could NOT get water rights and would have had to have a Cistern/Storage Tank and buy water that was trucked in.

If you can find a small farm/ranch that has water with it; that would be your best bet in Utah.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I live in NW New Mexico and spend some time in SE Utah. Water is key in our area and water rights are precious. If you want land with water it will be expensive, but you will need it for gardens/fruit trees. Utah is heavily LDS and they are farmers so there is irrigated ground. I don't hunt there so I have no knowledge of freezer hunting. That can be difficult in New Mexico. Beautiful country and if you stay above 5000' elevation the weather is great year round.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Sound advise. We looked at "Weekend" places in Utah a couple decades ago so we could get out of the LAsVegas Basin desert on weekends in the summer. Accessing water is very difficult. Most water rights have been assigned in Utah; this includes Culinary Water Rights (House Use). On the various properties we looked at from Panguich Utah down to the Saint George Utah area we could NOT get water rights and would have had to have a Cistern/Storage Tank and buy water that was trucked in.

If you can find a small farm/ranch that has water with it; that would be your best bet in Utah.
    Before you leap, check this out: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LwjO2Sr4zTSTKd

And there is lots more if you google 'water rights west' or utah, colorado etc. for water rights. The current status of water rights has and is being contested in the courts. Fun reading is "Cadillac Desert". Enchantment is in the eye of the beholder and as such is filtered by their perceptions!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    WOW!! illegal to catch rainwater! I guess I won't be moving to Utah

Home is looking better all the time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    WOW!! illegal to catch rainwater! I guess I won't be moving to Utah
    That changed about 5 years ago.

Banned

Home is looking better all the time.
    Why not come south to the Ozarks???
    Maxium freedom
    Low cost of living and inexpensive real estate
    Similar to where you live now, with better weather

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast