RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shiloh chambers

Boolit Master
    I spoke to Kirk at Siloh on Friday and he recommended the standard chamber with the 7 degree lead modification and removal of the stop. He told me that this was a good chamber for paper patch but would also shoot grease groove well.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m probably over thinking it but I have been really beating myself up over this one simply thing. There are some people who are shooting extremely well with the 45 degree lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    That looks like the chamber in my stock .45-70 Browning bpcr. 20-25 degrees ?
    Richard

Boolit Master
    The Browning chamber is quite different than the Shiloh one. The Browning is something like a 12.5 degree taper from the outside of the case mouth all the way into the rifling. The Shiloh is 45 degrees into a .459" diameter freebore that is 0.050" long, and then a 2.5 degree taper into the rifling.

They both shoot quite well though

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    My Browning .45-70 BPCR chamber and the latest target of sameClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FF5D7DC9-B78D-4CCE-A2DB-3AB0BBD18A00.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	228578
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5842D8BE-3564-4505-9FD3-515F54B72D15.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	228579

Boolit Buddy

Shiloh chambers

They do look similar but I think the lead in mine looks like it’s just a tad bit longer or is that an optical illusion ? I think the 45 degree lead is about .010 long. I am having a reamer made with a 45 degree lead in it for my cpa. It will be .481 in the mouth so that I can shoot groove diameter bullets in it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    flatsguide, looks like you have it working. I can't imagine how that target would look if you upped your powder to the magical 82 grs. ...

Just kidding...

Vendor Sponsor

Flatsguide - my Browning BPCR 45-70 chamber is long and will take 2,135" brass and should for best accuracy. Now that you have cast your chamber, can you say how long yours is?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    My Browning BPCR also had a very long chamber. I used Starline .45-90 trimmed to length.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Chill my chamber is 2.110 long.it is rare that I get a paper ring.i trim my brass to 2.115. Too bad there is such a discrepancy on chamber length, but not as bad as the off center chambers in the Browning .40-65 ‘s. As a side note when I got my rifle I wanted to get thicker brass in the neck area for pp’ing. So I purchased samples of longer brass cases, miking the wall thickness at the same height as the .45-70 brass the thickness was the same as the .45-70 cases. This was in Starline brass. It may be thicker in other manufacturers brass.
    Regards, Richard

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks. I am glad you have a good one. I would have thought or hoped they would have used the same spec reamers. Odd that (too) long case mouth chamber in mine and some others. I wonder (guessing here) if in production they use a set of reamers to do each chamber? A rim reamer, a body reamer and throat reamer??? And just went farther than spec.? What I would have guessed was a one piece rougher and a finisher.

Anyway, it looks like you are well on you way to great accuracy. You will be winning every match
    Chill Wills

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12