Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shiloh chambers

Boolit Buddy

Shiloh chambers

So I have a Shiloh on the way through bill Goodman. Just sent him the deposit only a couple days ago. I already have a c sharps highwall that I have been shooting for 5 years or so in silhouette shoots. Almost 3 years ago I started shouting bore diameter paper patch bullets in the rifle and have never really looked back. Well of course the new Shiloh will have a steady diet of bore diameter bullets but it will from time to time get the groove diameter bullet here and there especially at chickens. So i was all set to just go with a standard chamber but then I find out that there is another chamber that is offered that will accept groove diameter bullets. It has a 7 degree lead, that takes the 45 degree case stop out. I am really leaning that way to be honest but I wanted to see if others have been using this chamber in their shilohs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Shiloh is known for having tight chambers. It is very likely that fired, unsized cases from your C Sharps will not chamber in your Shiloh without re sizing. Cases from my 1895 Marlin won't even come close to chambering in any of my Shilohs without re sizing, and neither will cases from my Pedersolis or a couple of original Remington rollers that have been fitted with Green Mountain barrels.

Get the standard chamber, and be happy. It will shoot with either paper patched or grease groove bullets. The Shiloh is a fine rifle, and will work fine the way it comes to you. Just don't expect to shoot the same cases out of the Highwall to shoot without re sizing.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Shilohs standard chamber shoots patched quite well , but if Kirk has a reamer with the 7 degree lead built into it that would be another good choice
    I too will echo get separate cases for your Shiloh to make life simpler
    My Shiloh gets along real good with Hornsby cases

Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned

the shiloh PPB chamber option is the "orville c. loomer" reamer.

Boolit Buddy

Shiloh chambers

This one will be a little different than the loomer chamber in that it will still accept groove diameter projectiles.

Banned

that does sounds like the orville chambering, it can do PPBs as well as greasers.

Boolit Buddy

Shiloh chambers

Ohhh I c. I thought his change was just a straight paper chamber. Still kinda tight in the mouth from what I have seen. .478 or something like that?

Last edited by ian45662; 10-04-2018 at 07:27 AM.

The so called looser chamber is nothing more tha a reamer built from the specs from a chamber cast of an original borchardt

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty confident that there are 3 choices, other than sending them your own reamer. Orville's reamer is a tight neck bore diameter PP reamer that, if I remember correctly, is something like a 12 degree angle from the outside of the case mouth. Standard is a 45 degree case stop with a 0.050" freebore and 2.5 degrees per side leade. The 7 degree one has the same mouth as the standard ( i.e. accepts groove diameter bullets ) but is just a 7 degree angle all of the way.

Don, I though the 7 degree chamber is what was in the Tollofson rifle you bought from Rick? I know he had one in at least one of his rifles.

You can also get Shiloh to chamber your rifle with a custom reamer that you give them. There is an extra charge for it.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    That what it is. Standard Shiloh chamber but the cut a 7degree lead just deep enough to cut out the 45 degree angle at the lead. It goes from that into the 2-30 angle. I believe this to be a very similar set up to what’s in my c sharps but the angle is a little steeper than 7 degrees but it goes 1-30 into the rifling or throat as some call it. In my own line of thinking and of how things work I believe this should do very well for what I am wanting.

Boolit Master
    I do know some people who think that 7 degrees is optimal for PP bullets. I've seen a fellow shoot a number of sub-moa groups at 300 from the bench with one in .40 cal.

I can't say how well the Shiloh 7 degree leade is, but I can say that the standard Shiloh chamber is pretty close to as good as it gets for greasers. The only Shiloh I shoot PP bullets out of has a Dan Theodore chamber and it works very nicely. It seems that bore diameter PP bullets work quite well in a number of different chamber designs. I suspect it's mostly because most of the bullet is in the bore regardless ( unless you have a lot of freebore of course. ).

Chris.

Chris the heavy gun does indeed have the 7 degree lead cut in it.
    I also have 2 44-77’s with it , one had that cut after it had been shot a while the other was with that lead built into the reamer.
    There really isn’t any problem shooting the standard 45-70 Shiloh chamber with patched, the one I am shooting here at the nationals is proving that.

Boolit Master
    Don I've never tried shooting PP in the regular chamber but I've heard it enough times from enough good shooters to believe it .

Good luck at the Nationals! I imagine you must be shooting midrange prone now?

Chris.

Chris Thanks.
    Yes we shot prone today and tomorrow then Creedmoor Saturday and Sunday
    Have weather moving thru and the winds here today sort of make shooting at Byers look like shooting in a building lol

Boolit Master
    That must be some wind. The first time I was at Byers it felt like a hurricane

Chris.

Today at times it took 15 minutes left to hold paper at 600

Boolit Master
    That's a pretty stiff wind! Maybe 18-20 mph full value?

I realized I was incorrect about not having shot PP in the standard Shiloh chamber. My .45-110 has the standard chamber and I've shot PP in it.

Chris.

It woul go from ferocious left right, to mild to strong tailwinds quartering from the left to a mild wind from the right and back again.

Boolit Buddy
    . Can you guys guess as to what this lead angle might be? I won’t be home for a while or else I would take some measurements and do some calculations.

Boolit Grand Master

It appears to be the same in length and height so possibly a 45* angle there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast